Northwell Health Riverhead, NY
About the Job
Job Description Job Description
Performs various biochemical, microscopic and bacteriological tests to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- *Receives written requisitions from nursing units or outpatient department for routine or special laboratory tests.
- * Prepares, calibrates and verifies performance of laboratory instrumentation.
- * Acquires specimens, such as blood, urine, sputum and various other materials from nursing units or directly from patients, using established laboratory techniques.
- * Prepares microscopic slides as necessary. Studies slides using microscopic techniques or subjects specimens to automatic analyzing equipment or manual techniques to make qualitative and quantitative analyses.
- * Posts all finding to laboratory worksheets, report forms or computer for review by Laboratory supervisor.
- * Notifies Laboratory supervisors of any problems.
- * Identifies and labels all specimens to be retained and stores them for further reference or use.
- * Maintains quality control program and is responsible for primary review of all Q.C. data.
- * Maintain established hospital and departmental procedures and policies, objectives, performance improvement, safety, environmental and infection control and comply with requirements of the New York State Department of Health, Joint Commission and College of American Pathologists.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required. Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology, Required.
- Licensed by New York State Education Department (NYSED) as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist (or as appropriate to area of assignment), required.
- Minimum of one (1) year work experience and/or training specific to the work being done in the area noted above, required.