Medical Assistant- FlexStaff
Northwell Health Riverhead, NY
About the Job
- Prepares treatment rooms for patient examinations, ensuring cleanliness and availability of appropriate equipment and supplies.
- Interviews patient to obtain medical information and perform measurement and screening procedures.
- Prepares patient for examination and treatment.
- Obtains patient’s height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, head circumference, and other required vital statistics.
- Records findings in patient medical record and informs clinician of findings.
- Obtains specimens from patient, as directed by clinician.
- Collects blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens. Completes requisitions, labels and routes specimens according to established procedures.
- Performs electrocardiograms (EKGs), as required.
- Assists clinician during examination, procedures and treatment, as required.
- Secures required supplies, tools and equipment for specific procedures.
- Ensures patient is appropriately draped and positioned.
- Provides requested instruments to clinician during procedure. Assists in positioning and holding patient, as required.
- Assists patient after examination, procedure or treatment.
- Prepares, sterilizes and calibrates equipment. Informs Supervisor of malfunctioning equipment.
- Strictly adheres to infection control standards in the performance of duties.
- Performs related clerical duties supporting operational needs.
- Participates in patient registration, as required. Processes insurance forms, certifications, physician orders, prescriptions, etc.
- Ensures required patient information and documentation is available in medical records.
- Schedules and confirms patient appointments.
- Places, receives and directs phone calls.
- Files, copies, and distributes documentation, as required.
- Performs related duties as required.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Successful completion of a six-month (6) to one (1) year course in Medical Assisting program, required.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), preferred not required.
- Prior experience and demonstrated competence as a medical assistant, preferred.
- Data entry skills (80 kpm), required.
- Ability to communicate effectively.