Asst General Counsel, Global Technology
About the Job
NIKE, Inc.'s rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they're always on their game - with the mission to advance and guide Nike's business through innovative, offense-minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and superior counsel to Nike's global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
As with other industry leaders, all aspects of Nike's business are powered by information technology. We are looking for an experienced technology attorney to join our growing Legal team as Assistant General Counsel and assume a direct leadership role in guiding certain leaders in our Global Technology team as they take Nike's digital transformation and growth to the next level!
WHAT WILL YOU WORK ON?
As Assistant General Counsel - Global Technology, you will review, draft and negotiate a wide range of agreements and documents for Nike's Global Technology teams as they transform Nike's information technology function to support and drive growth. Transaction types range from traditional outsourcing, license and project service agreements to evolving areas such as cloud services and artificial intelligence. In addition to handling the legal work on important transactions, you will advise and counsel Nike business managers on a wide-range of legal and process issues associated with our information technology function, including regulatory compliance (particularly privacy issues in transactions), compliance with internal control processes, and management of business disputes that have not ripened into litigation. Along with others in the legal department, you will contribute your knowledge and experience toward efforts to re-engineer the delivery of legal services to improve quality, efficiency, and service levels using traditional and new model legal service providers. Finally, you will prepare and deliver training programs designed to enhance business results and manage risk.
WHO WILL YOU WORK WITH?
Under the supervision of our Senior Counsel - Global Technology, you will work directly with the Vice Presidents, Senior Directors and other personnel who lead Nike's Global Technology team, as well as other leaders and business managers who work with the Global Technology organization. Due to the volume of legal work we handle, this person will manage service delivery by our outside counsel, and you will partner closely with Nike's Privacy, Finance, Controlling, Global Procurement, and other supporting functions. International transactions will require collaboration with Nike's excellent team of Legal talent who are located outside of the United States.
WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO NIKE?
- Juris Doctorate degree or international equivalent
- Member, in good standing, of at least one US State Bar and willingness to meet the requirements of membership in the Oregon State Bar through in-house counsel, reciprocity, or other avenues.
- Minimum 6 years' experience in the practice of transactional business law
- Minimum 3 years' experience in a transactional practice that includes a significant information technology component
- A demonstrable interest in, and passion for, information technology
- Law firm experience in one or more of the following specialty areas is preferred: outsourcing, licensing, information technology, information security, data privacy
- In house corporate legal department experience preferred
- Experience with a technology company or major consumer of information technology products and services is preferred
- An ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, with technology and business personnel at all levels