Mold / Tool Maker - Petaluma, CA
About the Job
Job Title: Mold/Tool Maker
Now is an exciting time to join our Operations team, a team dedicated to ensuring our customers receive the products they need to achieve their scientific goals – quickly, reliably and safely. Our Petaluma, CA site is expanding and ramping up to support the fight against COVID-19. If you believe in working the right way for the right reason join our growing team today!
Location/Division Specific Information
This position is located at the Petaluma, CA location, 2200 S. McDowell Blvd, Petaluma, CA 94954
How will you make an impact?
Your ideas will bring new products to life as you collaborate with other design engineers, process development engineers and project leaders to develop plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, diagnostic and consumer product markets. Make an impact for your career, our customers and the world with this exciting opportunity for a talented Mold/Tool Maker. Collaborate with others like you to drive innovation and develop best tooling practices in a growing organization.
What will you do?
- Perform routine preventive maintenance and repairs on plastic injection molds and document results.
- Examine broken or malfunctioning injection mold parts for damage, wear or other defects and determine repairability.
- Recommend and apply corrective actions to improve quality and performance.
- Manufacture or modify mold components as required using manual or numerically-controlled machinery, including lathes, grinders, welders, etc., to achieve functional requirements within allowable tolerances.
- Precision surface or cylindrical grinding experience to +/- .0001”. Cylindrical OD/ID grinding machine a plus.
- Collaborate with other Toolmakers or other departments to identify and resolve mold quality and performance issues in a timely manner.
- Communicate resource needs for the toolroom including highlighting opportunities for continuous improvement and implementation of modern manufacturing principles.
- Assist in maintaining supply of materials, tooling and shop supplies. Maintain shop and equipment for safety, operability and cleanliness.
- Willingness to be trained and to train and develop the team as required and to assist with mentoring new hires and toolmaker apprentices.
The candidate provides technical guidance to perform repairs, troubleshoot, and maintain precision plastic injection tooling; ensuring product quality and sustaining delivery commitments of manufacturing operation.
How will you get here?
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Preferably Apprenticeship, Associates Degree or technical certification / licensure or equivalent training and /or experience, with focus on tooling, mold-making and machining.
All relevant skillsets will be considered, if you think you can do the job tell us why! Training will be supplied for the right candidate. Below are skillsets that would make a candidate successful.
- Strong machining background operating various machine tools to achieve tolerances <.001”.
- ~4+ years experience as a Toolmaker in the plastic injection molding industry or strongly related educational background.
- Experience with injection molding, Injection Blow, Injection Stretch Blow and Extrusion Blow Mold tooling preferred not required.
- Understanding of CAD modelling and interpreting blueprints.
- Any experience related to manufacturing, tooling, drafting, metallurgy and related areas.
- Experience with plastic materials, processing and scientific molding practices.
- Gathering and analyzing data to develop long-term solutions for tooling.
- Maintains safe work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Previous experience with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), ISO standards and Lean Manufacturing concepts.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Creative problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze and seek out collaboration.
- Proper use of precision measuring tools, equipment and gauges. Ability to understand blueprints; visualization, dimensions and tolerances.
- Computer literate – Must be able to develop, analyze and present data developed from the use of the computer including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to balance working independently and asking questions when stuck.
- Effective oral, written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills.
- Proficient shop math and trigonometry skills.
- Ability to concentrate visually at high intensity while operating machinery.
- Medium work – Lifting of 50 lbs. maximum
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.