Product Design Director
About the Job
Major League Baseball is on a multi-year mission to reimagine the fan experience. We believe the opportunity ahead of us requires skills in understanding people, thoughtful consideration of every aspect of the fan experience, and cranking up delight for every touchpoint-in short, design. That's where you come in -- We are looking for a design leader to help make this happen.
The Design team at MLB works across the entire fan journey - from primary research with the fans and clubs, brand creative, in-park experiences, websites, apps, games, streaming and interactive products. We take pride in designing delightful fan focused experiences that enhance the sport. Paying attention to the trends shaping sports and media, while constantly raising the bar on entertainment and delight for every aspect of the MLB experience. We do this through the practice of a fan focused approach to product design, investing in design systems and content tooling, UX writing, and design research
We're looking for an experienced design leader who will help build and lead creative direction with the design team to deliver the future of the MLB app experiences. The expectations of our fans are high and so we are committed to go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work that exceeds that expectation, so you will be working in a place where design is highly valued. This role will lead the product design efforts in shaping that vision and delivering engaging fan experiences through the mobile apps. The mobile apps are the primary touch point for our fans into the world of baseball, and guide the fan in exploring new ways to get deeper into the baseball experience, whether that is watching, participating with other fans, or going to a game in person. This role is also responsible for leading the design systems team to extend a new design look and feel across the other products in the portfolio. Finally as part of this portfolio you will be responsible for the publishing and community tools that allow us to tell richer more interactive visual stories that let us weave in fan generated content into the mix.
Although we all have focus on specific things the boundaries between teams are permeable, so you can certainly expect to collaborate with other designers on a broad set of design challenges that don't fall neatly into the Product Design category. Other products we work on include Ballpark (our companion app for ticketing and going to a game), Rally and other games that bring interactivity to the experience, MLB.tv, and more.
- Manage a team of product designers working on MLB's app experience across web and apps, as well as the design system and tooling team that drives a coherent design language across all our products.
- Develop the team and processes to meet business demands and employee development needs.
- Collaborate with Design and MLB leadership to determine product, design and brand direction.
- Inspire, motivate, and lead designers across experience levels to do the best work of their career.
- Work closely with our Product Management, Engineering, Editorial, Marketing, and senior leadership to deliver stunning and effective work.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have experience designing consumer facing media products.
- Have demonstrated experience working with insights (both qual and quant) into design decisions.
- Are fan obsessed and have the ability to orient strategy around the user and their journey and bring delight to every touchpoint.
- Have a show, don't tell approach to strategy. You lead the team through example to show what is possible by prototyping/visualizing the strategy in a way that brings clarity to ambiguity.
- Make ideas happen. You have a strong track record of turning design visions into reality by collaborating across engineering, analytics, marketing and other key stakeholders to get work moving.
- Have experience managing complete redesigns of products from kick-off to ship.
- Have an outcome focused approach that ensures that your design direction is having a measurable impact in the real world.
- Have an iterative mindset, and are obsessed with continuous product improvement based on feedback.
- You can manage a varied portfolio of small, medium and large initiatives at the same time.
- 10+ years in product design.
- 7+ experience in designing mobile and website apps. With a strong portfolio of shipped products of high quality and with real impact.
- 5+ years of experience in attracting, managing, and growing high-performing designers. Developed the careers of other product designers who have gone on to do great things.
- Strong portfolio of shipped consumer facing products that show a data-inspired strategy and analytics influenced decision making.
- Compelling communicator and storyteller. Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal and presentation skills
- Demonstration of highly collaborative approach with experience with "organizational transformation" practices such as design thinking workshops and design Sprints.
- Can balance optimizing for speed, quality as well as doing future foundational work while iterating on existing products.
Please have prepared
- Your LinkedIn profile or resume
- Ready to share your portfolio
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the most historic of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. Employees love working at MLB because of the culture of growth, teamwork, and professionalism. Employees who are most successful at MLB take initiative, know how to identify problems and provide solutions, and always put the Team first. For those ready to step up to the plate and join the Major Leagues, MLB takes the same approach as teams do with their players: empowering our "workforce athletes" to be at their best by engineering experiences that put employees in the best position to succeed. Major League Baseball is looking for candidates who are passionate about growing America's pastime to best serve its fans for decades to come.
MLB's vision is to be the global sport of choice for youth to play, fans of all backgrounds to enjoy and a desired destination for employment. With a belief that the journey to growth and greatness is ongoing, MLB gives employees the opportunity to continue learning and honing their skills with programs such as: tuition reimbursement; mentorship programs; lunch and learns; online course subscriptions; paid industry certifications; business resource groups; and more.
MLB provides its employees with exceptional medical, dental, and vision coverage. Premiums are 100% employer covered to help employees focus on being their best!
Are you ready to Step Up to the Plate? Apply below!