Clinical Specialist (Peri-Operative and Procedural Areas, RN)
About the Job
Join our team! The Clinical Specialist for Peri—Operative and Procedural Areas will: â€¯
- Influence patient outcomes and promote evidence-based nursing care by applying specialty knowledge and expert clinical practice across the client, nurse, and system spheres of influence.
- Advance the practice of nursing by implementing innovative solutions that address complex system problems and/ or patient care issues
- Skilled in interpersonal dynamics to earn trust within a fast-paced environment that embraces diverse cultures, interpersonal styles, abilities, motivations, and backgrounds
- Serves as clinical expert in the delivery of peri-operative and procedural area patient care
- Conduct evaluations and assessments of peri-operative department and procedural area care in accordance with facility, state and federal regulations
- Integrates research into the peri-operative department environment through the implementation of evidence-based practice
- Develops, coordinates, implements and evaluates educational programs for peri-operative and procedural area patients and their families, staff and communities
- As part of a multi-disciplinary team, acts as a change agent to develop system performance standards to improve patient outcomes and their overall MWHC experience
- Empowers nursing through creating and supporting environments which embrace continuous quality improvement and are hallmarked by collaboration, ethical-decision making, caring, alleviation of suffering and implementation of evidence based practices
You are recognized as a professional role model with specific expertise in peri-operative care, as well as process improvement and project management. The position will be responsible for Main OR, Ancillary OR, PACU and Procedural Areas. Reporting line is to the Director of Nursing Practice and Quality.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's of Science and Master's degree in Nursing. Education as a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) with a focus in adult/gerontology, emergency/critical care, or another patient population recognized in the APRN National Consensus model. May substitute Bachelor's and/or Master's in clinically related field if approved by Senior Nursing Leadership at time of hire based upon relevant experience to the specific specialty area. Doctorate degree in Nursing, Education, or Healthcare Administration is preferred.
PRIOR EXPERIENCE: Five or more years experience of progressively more responsible job-related experience in Nursing. Experience in a nursing advanced practice role is preferred.
CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION/LICENSURE: A license as a registered nurse in the District of Columbia is required. Basic Life Support (BLS) required. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification required for those clinical specialists serving a clinical population/program. AORN, NIH Stroke Scale preferred upon hire, required within year months of hire/transfer date. National Nursing Certification in Specialty (Clinical, Quality, Risk, Accreditation etc.) as approved by Senior Nursing Leadership preferred or obtained within one year of hire. Advanced Nursing Certification strongly preferred; required within one year of hire.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.