Supervisor Respiratory Therapy
About the Job
MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center, located in Clinton, Maryland, is an award winning, acute care hospital focused on caring for patients and their loved ones utilizing advanced technology under the guidance of expert clinicians. Quality, Safety, Wellness, and Patient Satisfaction are achieved through a spirit of patient centered services that connect us to the community we serve. If you believe in patient focused care, excellence, teamwork, and are committed to meeting the needs of our patients and customers, we invite you to join our team!
MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center is actively recruiting for a fulltime Supervisor of Respiratory Therapy to join our dedicated team! This position provides support during rotating the night shift; 40-hours per week.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee all clinical aspects of the Respiratory Department.
• Performs leadership functions in support of departmental and organizational goals.
• Provides for the front-line supervision of assigned Respiratory Therapy staff during the work shift including
but not limited to delegating workloads and assignments.
• Monitor the work performance of the respiratory therapists.
• Conduct annual performance reviews/evaluations of the quality of services provided by employees.
• Oversee the training of all clinical personnel with respect to the work requirements.
• Responsible for the on-going education and guidance to staff on Department policy and procedures.
• Ensure assigned work is completed correctly and in timely fashion.
• Conduct periodic assessment of workloads, assignments, and completion of work during the shift.
• Evaluate workloads and reassigns/redistributes work assignments as required and appropriate during the
• Oversees and manages work schedules for the department to ensure adequate staffing.
• Advocate for patient safety and clinical outcomes.
• Assume a leadership role in the development of policies and Performance Improvement activity and
• Deliver competent care in all clinical settings, applying advanced clinical skills to intervene in complex
patient care situations.
• Responsible for the supervision of respiratory care activities for Acute Care, Critical Care and other related
patient care areas.
• Educate patients and families on proper respiratory care.
• Function as liaison to patients, families, staff and physicians. Evaluates and intervenes when encountering
problems and works toward developing a resolution.
• Serves as a clinical/technical resource to other health care provider staff by providing patient assessments,
recommendations and implementation of Respiratory Care treatment regimens, protocols, etc.
• Provide department management feedback and input as to staff training needs, staff performance issues,
clinical/technical competencies of staff, etc.
• Serves as a role model by continually adhering to behavioral and professional standards and holding staff
accountable to the same expectation/standard; empowers Associates to make decisions relevant to their daily
• Troubleshoot mechanical equipment errors.
• Uphold MedStar Spirit Values.
• Perform other duties assigned.
• Associates Degree required, Bachelor's degree preferred from an approved Respiratory Program
•Minimum 5 Years in an acute care facility as a RCP, with at least 2 years prior
management or supervisory experienced required, experience within critical care, with prior
Current BLS/ACLS Certifications (AHA)
• NRP (neonatal resuscitation program) (required within first 6 months of employment).
• Licensed by the state of Maryland Physician Board of Quality Assurance.
• Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential as provided by the National Board for Respiratory Care
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.