About the Job
A professional care provider who assumes responsibility and accountability for a group of patients, providing care through the utilization of the nursing process in collaboration with other health team members. Provides guidance through intervention, development and/or maintenance of resources in their area of specialization primarily for outpatient infusion services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Assessment: Collects data in an ongoing and systematic manner, focusing on the biophysical, psycho social, cognitive, self-care, educational, environmental and discharge planning needs of the patient.
- Assesses the patient's health care needs on a systematic and continuous basis according to established time frames.
- Identifies the biophysical, psycho-social, cultural, self-care, teaching, and continuing care needs of the patient as appropriate to patient age and diagnoses.
- Collects data in an ongoing and systematic manner as outlined by departmental protocol.
- Places the emphasis of assessment on the physiologic, psychological and cognitive status of the patient.
- Reports any abnormal assessments in a timely manner to physician/mid-level provider.
- Reviews specific patient care situations for effectiveness of multi-disciplinary / multi-departmental interventions.
- Planning: Formulates a goal-directed plan of care, which is prioritized and based on identified patient care needs.
- Uses department/unit process standards as specified for planning/delivering patient care; individualizes these, holds self and co-workers accountable to them. Documents and evaluates care provided.
- Formulates a goal directed plan of care based on departmental/unit standards.
- Establishes priorities of patient care on the basis of essential patient needs.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient at all items.
- Participates in unit and departmental nursing quality improvement process, standards development and revision, collection of data and reports to Cancer Committee and Steering Subcommittee.
- Identifies follow up plan for each patient for each visit. Provides verbal and written self-care instructions to patient and or caregiver for access to resources and to prevent and manage side effects of their diagnosis and treatment with each visit.
- Utilizes effective communication skills to establish positive working relationship with all health team members, patients, and significant others.
- Implementation: Initiates plan of care based on established priorities, essential needs and available resources.
- Initiates plan of care based on established priorities essential needs and available resources.
- Explains plan of care to patient and significant others utilizing ancillary resources when needed.
- Demonstrates ability to respond quickly to changes and follow guidelines for the management of cardiac or respiratory arrest, anaphylactic and hypersensitivity reaction, seizures, vesicant extravasations, chemical spills and other emergent infusion related situations that may occur.
- Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent, timely and continuous manner.
- Intervenes on patient’s behalf utilizing appropriate resources.
- Supports department/unit by providing coverage for nursing shortages and increased patient census.
- Identifies/assesses an unstable or emergency condition and initiates appropriate action.
- Practices effective problem identification and resolution skills.
- Administers medications accurately and in accordance with the Five Rights of Medication Administration.
- Transcribes orders correctly.
- Performs treatments and procedures according to hospital policy.
- Assures documentation is accurate, concise and follows established guidelines.
- Demonstrates responsibility for Patient/Family education.
- Evaluation: Assesses the effectiveness of intervention and revises the plan of care as needed.
- Evaluates effectiveness of patient interventions on an ongoing basis.
- Rounds on patients routinely to identify and assess needs.
- Reviews specific patient care situations for effectiveness of departmental team interventions.
- Demonstrates competence required in evaluation skills.
- Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and licensure.
- Practices within legal boundaries of nurse practice act and according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to address these education needs.
- Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the department/unit.
- Updates clinical skills as required by department/unit policy and patient needs.
- Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License, PPD, NIH Stroke Scale, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between departments.
- Participates on inter-departmental teams, committees, councils and communicates department/unit knowledge as appropriate.
- Provides department/unit with information and knowledge acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams, committees and councils.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the department/unit.
- Displays professionalism in interactions with patients, families, staff and physicians/mid-level providers.
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties: Operates and documents all aspects of the Infusion Center including all procedures performed in the Infusion Center.
- Assess clinical appropriateness for acceptance of patient.
- Verifies orders are complete and reviews pre-treatment information required for each specific treatment prior to approving scheduling of patient.
- Verifies medications are available in pharmacy or reschedules patients in a timely manner.
- Follows ONS Chemotherapy and Biotherapy guidelines and drug inserts for each step for safe infusion of chemotherapy/biotherapy.
- Submits billing at the end of each treatment day.
- Notifies physician and patient of missed or rescheduled appointments and directs patient/caregiver to contact physician the same day to assess if alternate plan of care and follow up as directed by referring physician.
- Provide documentation of care provided and processing accurate billing codes for services rendered.
- Identifies patient’s problems, initiates and individualizes plan of care for IV site placement.
- Documents and notifies staff of complications arising from or with IV site and/or placement.
- Identifies appropriate patients in need of PICC line/midline.
- Evaluates and prioritizes IV start and specific patient needs according to diagnosis on an ongoing basis.
- Assess patient need for peripheral, midline, PICC or possible central line other than PICC line.
- Evaluates site location, change and immobilization of site due to patient condition.
- Graduate of accredited School of Nursing
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
- Maryland Nursing License
- CPR (BLS) Certification
- ONS Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Certification
- OCN Certification Preferred
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Basic Computer skills to perform Data entry
- Computerized clinical information systems
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality
- 1-2 year in Hospital setting preferred
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.