Human Resources Business Partner
About the Job
As a strategic partner, aligns business objectives with employees and management in designated business units. Acts as employee champion and change agent. Assesses and anticipates HR-related needs. Communicates needs proactively and formulates partnerships across the HR functions to deliver value added services to management and employees that reflect the business objectives of the organization. Serves as a consultant to management on Human Resource related issues.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field, or equivalent combination of relevant experience and education.
3 years professional human resources experience. Employee relations experience strongly preferred.
SPHR/PHR or similar certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong conflict management skills. Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills. Basic computer skills. Ability to manage multiple business units in multiple locations and manage multiple conflicting priorities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
2. Data Management: Serves as the PeopleSoft expert, processing data to ensure accurate internal transfers, salary changes, and various other HRIS transactions. Manages the PeopleSoft worklist. Educates managers and associates on PeopleSoft transactions and the use of Self Service. Manages data validation, including job requisitions and terminations. Troubleshoots problems in the PeopleSoft system, researching and investigating historical data to determine resolution. Provides administrative support for Talent Manager and the Merit Tool. Responsible for relevant data collection and sharing (such as MHHRA Survey Report).
3. Departmental Operations: Serves as liaison between associates, management and all other HR functions (HRIS, payroll, benefits, and compensation). Handles complex and/or sophisticated Human Resources matters or projects as needed. Recommends policy changes and/or suggests improvements to current practices. May assist in periodic audits of licensure and certification renewals in support of leadership. May assist in preparation for regulatory and/or accreditation surveys of the facilities supported.
4. Employee Relations: Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with employee relations or legal department as needed/required. Works with HR leader to address legal issues. Assists with EEOC investigations and position statements. Represents the appropriate MedStar company at Unemployment Hearings and/or other employment-related hearings or investigations. Consistently drives and promotes a positive work culture. Develops open communication and rapport with associates. Provides guidance and interpretation to associates related to HR, departmental and other organizational policies. Documents and maintains employee relations records and reports for fair and consistent practices, including but not limited to reporting on corrective actions.
5. Operations/ Strategic Partnership: Conducts monthly meetings with respective business units. Consults with line management providing HR guidance when appropriate. Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with HR group to develop solutions, programs and policies. Ensures internal equity by conducting equity analyses and making recommendations.
6. Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and organization in community outreach efforts. Participates in various HR workgroups and committees.
7. Talent Acquisition: Partners with recruiting team on staffing needs and aids in the selection and retention of quality talent as needed. Consults with hiring managers and or recruiters to ensure new hires, promotions, transfers and terminations are processed in accordance with company and legal specifications. Provides guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning, succession planning.
8. Team Development: Identifies training needs for business units and individual executive coaching needs. Participates in evaluation and monitoring of success of training programs. Follows-up to ensure training objectives are met. Provides day to day talent management guidance to line management (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions)
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.