About the Job
The Research Scientist will support the development and implementation of research programs in their specialty across MedStar Health. This will be accomplished by contributing to the advancement of health of our patients while impacting all aspects in our tripartite mission of education, research and clinical care. The Research Scientist will design and direct research studies in their specialty, including pursuing an independent program of research, partnering with MedStar Health Research Institute (MHRI) investigators for research proposals, obtaining external financial support for research (sponsored research) to ensure long term sustainability, closely coordinating and aligning the research activities with the clinical activities within MedStar Health, and participating in activities aimed at increasing the awareness of their research throughout the system. Activities may cross multiple sites, as well as involve investigators at different locations and within different disciplines. This position has supervisory responsibilities.
- PhD, DrPH, MD, or equivalent terminal degree or master’s degree with equivalent experience in a related field.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience contributing scientifically and collaboratively as part of a grant-funded research team.
- Experience conducting research in a healthcare setting (hospital, ambulatory care environment, outpatient clinics) strongly preferred.
- Experience in presentation of scientific information with excellent oral and written communication skills required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Strong analytical skills and background in quantitative and/or qualitative methods.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
- Create, develop, and continue to build a personal portfolio of research at MedStar Health Research Institute that furthers MedStar’s mission of advancing health through research.
- Lead the design, implementation, and evaluation of research studies.
- Collaborate with scientists across MedStar Health to produce research advancements.
- Participate in meetings, serve on committees and represent MedStar Health Research Institute and MedStar Health in externally-facing research efforts as appropriate.
- Manage research budgets to meet the scope of work.
- Develop a personal portfolio of research that establishes recognition of that work and results in publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Develop a personal portfolio that establishes recognition of that work and results in presentations and speaking opportunities at national and international meetings.
- Collaborate with other disciplines within MedStar Health to design and evaluate the impact of research initiatives.
- Oversee research team.
- Work with the assigned MHRI Scientific Center Administrator or their delegate to ensure financial viability of research studies.
- Develop and contribute to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
- Consistently demonstrate support for compliance in the performance of job duties and responsibilities by a) developing and maintaining knowledge of, and performing job functions in compliance with, rules, regulations, policies, and statutes that affect his/her job; b) maintaining knowledge of and performing job functions in compliance with MedStar Health and MedStar Health Research Institute policies and procedures; and c) reporting compliance concerns in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.