Registered Nurse Clinical Educator Operating Room
About the Job
Coordinates, plans, implements, and evaluates educational programs designed to meet the assessed needs of MedStar Health in a continuing effort to ensure quality care and maintain current standards of practice. Serves as a resource/consultant/ facilitator to others in MedStar Health. Collaborates with leadership, content experts and staff to facilitate learner's achievement of educational goals.
- Education/Training: Bachelor's degree in Nursing or Education; Master's degree preferred.
- Experience: 3 years clinical experience with formal teaching experience to include curriculum development and program evaluation and revision in clinical and classroom setting.
- License/Certification/Registration: Valid RN license in the State of Maryland.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Basic math skills. Verbal and written communication skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses learning needs of staff and clients using a variety of sources, analyzes the results and disseminates findings from the needs assessment to leadership.
- Assists individual, departments and work teams in designing and facilitating educational activities through consultation with content experts. Supports growth opportunities, utilizing the Assessment and Development System. Provides expertise for program planning, implementation and evaluation of outcomes.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Designs learning environment, develops instructional objectives, content, teaching, methodologies, audiovisual support, participant handout, and evaluation tool to achieve optimal outcomes. Maintains flexibility in teaching to optimize outcomes.
- Develops a financial plan. Considers cost effectiveness and customer satisfaction when planning educational programs.
- Identifies problems for evaluative or scientific investigation. Participates in research process, reviews research application, incorporates research findings into teaching and work practice and manages data as appropriate.
- In conjunction with leadership and target audience plans educational opportunities to meet identified needs and supports the learner's achievement of required competencies. Assures that educational objectives are measurable and realistic.
- Maintains department records, reports and files, as required.
- Mentors staff, clients, and leadership to facilitate incorporation of class content into performance or achievement of healthy lifestyle. Develops and provides ongoing coaching to staff and clients with the goal of improving critical thinking skills. Functions as a resource person to staff in problem-solving related to area of expertise.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides clinical and didactic instruction to facilitate incorporation of class content into work practice or activities of daily living.
- Provides feedback regarding participant performance to the participant and other appropriate individuals, as necessary. Communicates educational outcomes to appropriate leadership.
- Uses evaluation tools, which are individualized to the particular educational activities. Considers learner satisfaction, changes in performance related to program attendance and measurement of organizational outcomes, where appropriate. Revises educational program based on compiled evaluative data.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.