About the Job
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Provides professional nursing care for clinic patients following established standards and practices. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. BSN preferred.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Registered Nurse license in the District of Columbia. CPR certification; Med-Surg certification by ANCC and BSN level is preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Three to five years of professional nursing experience preferably in an acute care setting. At least two years of previous outpatient experience is highly desirable.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs general and specialized nursing care to patients. Administers prescribed medications, treatments, and procedures in accordance with nursing standards.
- Provides a structured, consistent, and organized process of monitoring medication adjustment and follow-up for asthma. Promotes patient awareness and self-responsibility in respect to their individual goals of asthma therapy.
- Promotes compliance with the pharmacological regimen through patient and family education and counseling with respect to asthma therapy as required.
- Observes, records and reports patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians.
- Educates the patient about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition, and maintenance of health and wellness.
- Interacts with case management, discharge planning staff and durable medical equipment companies on behalf of both inpatients and outpatients. Completes all required paperwork.
- Identifies patients who are non-compliant in obtaining appropriate lab studies or medication regimen to the appropriate physician and sends the patient the appropriate warning letters.
- Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination and testing of patients.
- Assists the physician with procedures (bronchoscopy and thoracentesis) as required.
- Establishes and maintains database on critical care patients in all adult critical care units.
- Meets with sponsors of clinical trials and reviews enrollment protocols.
- Recruits patients for clinical trials. Maintains records of patients enrolled in clinical trials and monitors patient care for research protocol patients
- Reviews and audits patient records, charts, and other pertinent information as required.
- Performs quality control functions of assigned area as directed. Supervises the daily influx of patient messages, prioritizes calls, assesses patient needs, performs telephone triage as required, and coordinates needs with medical staff.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures; attends required meetings and conferences and participates in committees as requested.
- Exemplifies Patient Experience service standards and Spirit values, and actively participates in Patient Safety standards and tasks.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.