Pediatric Outpatient Mobile Clinic Nurse
About the Job
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Provides professional nursing care for Mobile Clinic patients following established standards and practices. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
About Kids Mobile Medical Clinic/Ronald McDonald Care Mobile:
In line with MedStar Georgetown’s vision to be the trusted leader in caring for people and advancing health, the Division of Community Pediatrics ensures that every child has the opportunity to thrive and be healthy. The Kids Mobile Medical Clinic/Ronald McDonald Care Mobile provides holistic, integrated primary care at designated sites four days a week in neighborhoods within wards 6 and 7 of Washington, D.C. Care is delivered in a true medical home dedicated to making access to health care services that children need as seamless as possible. Services include regular check-ups, sick visits, immunizations, chronic disease management for ongoing health concerns like asthma, mental health and developmental screenings and evaluations, and coordination to specialty care and community-based services. The Nurse Specialist plays a critical role within the team to ensure access to evidence-based, comprehensive, coordinated, compassionate health care to those who need it most.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. B.S.N. preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Two years of professional nursing experience; At least 1 year of previous outpatient experience highly desirable.
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Registered Nurse license in the District of Columbia/Maryland/Virginia; CPR certification.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care; Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care; Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs general nursing care to patients. Administers prescribed medications, treatments, and procedures in accordance with nursing standards.
- Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination, and testing of patients.
- Observes, records, and reports patient’s condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians. Dispenses medication as directed.
- Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriate information. Instructs patients in the collection of samples and tests.
- Performs patient telephone triage, assesses needs, and coordinates needs with medical staff.
- Educates patient and family about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition, and maintenance of health and wellness. Communicates with families by phone, scheduling acute and well visits, contacting patients by mail and maintaining a good relationship with the community.
- Responsible for tracking and maintaining medical supplies available on the mobile clinic with the assistance of the nurse practitioner in order to maintain a well-stocked clinic.
- Performs quality control functions of assigned area, as directed.
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts, and other pertinent information. Posts tests and examination results.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures; attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Exemplifies Guest and Staff Relations standards in all activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.