PACU Clinical Nurse (Procedural PACU)
About the Job
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
Join the #1 hospital in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region, as ranked by U.S. News and World Report (2017-2018)!
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, our healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership. As the first hospital in Washington, D.C. to achieve Magnet® Recognition, we have demonstrated our excellence in nursing care, innovative professional nursing practice, and nursing satisfaction.
Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—we are committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment. Our mission is what sets us apart - and makes MedStar Georgetown a special place to work.
General Summary of Position:
A nurse is responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
About MedStar Georgetown’s Procedural PACU - 7 West
7 West is MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s 16 bay Procedural PACU. Nurses on 7 West provide the highest quality postoperative care according to ASPAN standards for patients recovering from a variety of procedures including Interventional Radiology, Bronchoscopy and Cardiac Catheterization. Our highest priority is patient safety and providing exceptional patient care every day to every patient.
During the recovery of each patient, the 7 West nurses continually assess and address basic life-sustaining needs of the patient. Nursing care focuses on airway management, re-establishing hemodynamic stability with frequent surgical site and vital sign assessments and pain management. In collaboration with the multidisciplinary team, the nurse will use critical thinking to determine the next most appropriate level of care and facilitate the safe transfer of the patient to that location, including discharge home, return to an inpatient bed or transitioning to an intensive care setting.
7 West values nursing education and professional development. As a result, newly hired nurses are provided a comprehensive orientation, designed by a Clinical Educator and customized to the nurses’ skills and experience. Additionally, the Clinical Educator coordinates ongoing educational programs designed to meet the unique needs of all 7 West associates, including nurses, nurse practitioners, clinical technicians and patient care associates. The nurses on 7 West are very engaged, participating in collaborative governance at the unit and hospital level and demonstrating exceptional nursing skill through participation in the Clinical Advancement Program.
Monday-Friday, Day Shift
Staggered 12-hour shifts from 7:00AM-11AM
Minimal weekend call
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse upon hire; certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: To meet unit criteria, at least two (2) years recent acute care experience in the relevant patient care area preferred. Two years of perioperative or ICU experience preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRACTICE & QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with inter-professional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of inter-professional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurse role. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.