OB/GYN Clinic RN - Phone Triage
About the Job
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Provides professional nursing care for clinic patients following established standards and practices. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. B.S.N. preferred.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Registered Nurse license in the District of Columbia/Maryland/Virginia; CPR certification.
- EXPERIENCE: Two years of professional nursing experience; At least 1 year of previous outpatient experience highly desirable.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care; Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care; Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs patient telephone triage, assesses needs, and coordinates needs with medical staff. Monitors phone notes entered to assure timely response to all calls and appropriate resolution of the patients’ needs.
- Provides the patient with home care advice for conditions that do not require an immediate clinic appointment or referral to another health care setting.
- Triages walk-in patients and provides them with guidance, determining the most appropriate course of action for the patient to take regarding obtaining an appointment in the clinic, referral to another facility, or home care advice. Consults with the provider as necessary.
- Dispenses telephone advice and recommendations from the provider as requested by the provider. Documents all encounters thoroughly.
- Assists in supervising other division staff in absence of Nurse Clinician II.
- Assists in education of clinical and administrative staff to elevate care and service offered by the department.
- Assists in orientation and training of clinical staff and serves as a mentor during probationary period.
- Educates patient and family about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition, and maintenance of health and wellness.
- Supports and participates in implementation of clinic improvement projects developed by Nurse Clinician IV and Administrator.
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts, and other pertinent information. Assists with tests and examination results as needed.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures; attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Enhances patient satisfaction by providing concerned, personal, prompt and courteous customer service that supports the patients’ right to dignity and privacy.
- Adapts to and excels in the use of all electronic programs utilized in the division/department to include, but not limited to, Electronic Health Records (EHR), Outlook, and general computer applications. Adheres to all HIPPA, MEDSTAR, and GUH Privacy policies.
- Observes and complies with Joint Commission standards at all times in order to provide patients with safe, effective, and responsive care. Embraces Joint Commission knowledge and applies this to the work environment every day.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.