NEWLY OPENED Acute Care Post Operative Spine Unit, Clinical Nurse
About the Job
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
NEWLY OPENED Spine Surgery/Epilepsy Unit – C5-3
Join the Magnet® Nursing Team on our state of the art new unit!
MedStar Georgetown is currently hiring for an innovative new nursing team! C5-3 is a newly renovated 14 bed adult Spine Surgery Unit with all private rooms. Nurses will work side by side with a Nurse Practitioner to manage the post-operative care of the orthopedic and neurosurgical spine patients. Additionally, nurses will a utilize state of the art Natus monitoring to care for patients to either rule out epilepsy or determine more advanced treatments for their epilepsy. These patients are on 24hr video EEG monitoring and may be candidates for Ictal-SPECT scans to determine the area of the brain that is generating their seizures. The Clinical Nurses collaborate with both the Neurologists and EEG technicians to provide high quality care and treatment.
If you are interested in this unique opportunity to be part a new team and create a vision that will drive the unit culture, please apply here!
Questions? Contact Annie at 202-444-1215.
- 12-hour shifts
- Self-scheduling, 6-week schedules
- Full-time Night Shift or Rotating Shift (maximum 50% nights and 50% weekends)
General Summary of Position:
A nurse is responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing preferred. Will consider candidates enrolled in a BSN program.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse; certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: To meet unit criteria, 1 year of hospital-based nursing experience required. Neuroscience and/or surgical experience preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRACTICE & QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with inter-professional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Communicates verbal information and documents written and electronic information that reflects the planned and delivered care for patients.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of inter-professional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurse role. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.