Cath Lab Clinical Nurse Coordinator - NO night, weekend, or call requirements!
About the Job
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Functions as an experienced nursing practitioner providing direct and indirect patient care utilizing the nursing process in assisting with invasive cardiovascular procedures in the Cardiovascular Lab and Non-Invasive procedures in the Echocardiography areas. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
About MedStar Georgetown’s Cardiovascular Pulmonary Lab:
Join the nation’s largest marrow harvesting program. The Cardiovascular Pulmonary Department at MedStar Georgetown is a procedural department with 3 pre-procedural bays and 4 state-of-the-art procedural rooms. The Cardiovascular Pulmonary Lab nurse will assist expert members of the interdisciplinary team to perform advanced therapeutic procedures such as Diagnostic Heart Caths, Electrophysiology Studies, Device implants-Pacemakers and AICDs (Single, Dual and Bi-Ventricular), Peripheral Vascular Arteriogram and Angioplasty/Stenting, cutting edge in Bronchoscopy procedures from Cryo Spray of tumors to fiducial placement for Cyberknife, Bone Marrow collection. Cardiovascular Pulmonary Lab nurses will work closely with patients to perform medical intake in preparation for procedures and assist during the procedures by administering IV moderate sedation, monitor patients’ safety and comfort, intra-op electronic documentation and specimen collection.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. BSN degree preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Five years experience inclusive of a minimum of one year ICU or CCU experience required and three years experience in a general medical or surgical unit; cardiology experience preferred.
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Current D.C. licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse. Current certification in BCLS required, ACLS required.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Experienced in all aspects of interventional procedures preferred including Dobutamine Stress Echo, Transesophageal Echo and assisting physicians in all aspects of invasive cardiovascular procedures preferred. Must have current knowledge and techniques of ICU nursing care including cardiac monitoring, starting IV's, and patient teaching. Must be able to learn principles/procedures associated with assisting in hemodynamic monitoring, cardiac angiography and identification of ischemic changes during procedures and use of radiographic equipment. Must be able to act quickly, independently and remain calm in stressful and emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides direct patient care, incorporating the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation), prior to, during and after all clinical procedures; participates in the ongoing evaluation of quality assurance.
- Evaluates and interprets clinical information from diagnostic equipment for invasive cardiac procedures including R/L coronary angiography, PTA, Atherectomy, Peripheral Stent placement, pacemaker insertion, IABP, indwelling catheter insertion, Dobutamine Stress Echo, Transesophageal Echo, etc. for adult patients.
- Administers routine medications during invasive cardiovascular procedures and non-invasive cardiac procedures and delivers appropriate drug and therapeutic interventions during emergency situations.
- Maintains standards which ensure a safe, therapeutic environment for cardiovascular lab patients and personnel.
- Participates in the orientation, training, and in-service education of all personnel/students assigned to the department and pursues professional growth through ongoing continuing education.
- Participates in research protocols for the evaluation of investigational devices/procedures/drug therapy through patient observation and data collection during Cardiovascular Lab procedures.
- Assists with administering the daily operations of the Cardiovascular Services Labs including case completion and also assures that all rooms are prepared appropriately for clinical procedures and overseeing adjunct services. Assumes responsibility for the Cardiovascular Lab in the absence of the Director.
- Coordinates with the Director to insure that the Lab equipment is properly maintained through appropriate
- Quality Control and Quality Assurance programs by closely coordinating with Biomed Department, Central Lab and Information Systems.
- Coordinates with the Director and Radiation Safety Officer on tracking employee radiation badges and ensuring that staff radiation is kept at a minimal and acceptable level. Insures that annual inspections are done on X-Ray equipment as required.
- Administers and maintains all department services in accordance with standards and criteria established by The Joint Commission, State, Local and Federal agencies to ensure compliance to those external requirements.
- Assists with inventory, ordering and stocking of supplies and equipment for the Cardiovascular Lab as assigned.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are delegated and are appropriate to the position and area. The responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.