Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, Procedure Lab RN
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Washington, DC
About the Job
- About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
Join the #1 hospital in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region, as ranked by U.S. News and World Report (2017-2018)! MedStar Georgetown is the nation’s largest marrow harvesting site.
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, our healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership. As the first hospital in Washington, D.C. to achieve Magnet® Recognition, we have demonstrated our excellence in nursing care, innovative professional nursing practice, and nursing satisfaction.
Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—we are committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment. Our mission is what sets us apart - and makes MedStar Georgetown a special place to work.
General Summary of Position:
Cardiovascular Pulmonary Lab nurses are responsible for assessment and care of patients undergoing invasive procedures or receiving moderate sedation in the Cardiovascular Pulmonary Department. Cardiovascular Pulmonary nurses work collaboratively with all members of the interdisciplinary team and offer innovative diagnostic tests and life-saving treatments for a diverse patient population.
Four ten hour shifts
7:00am-5:30pm Monday through Friday
This Department is closed on the holidays; no weekends, no call
About MedStar Georgetown’s Cardiovascular Pulmonary Lab
The Cardiovascular Pulmonary Department at MedStar Georgetown is a procedural department with 3 pre-procedural bays and 4 state-of-the-art procedural rooms. The Cardiovascular Pulmonary Lab nurse will assist expert members of the interdisciplinary team to perform advanced therapeutic procedures such as Diagnostic Heart Caths, Electrophysiology Studies, Device implants-Pacemakers and AICDs (Single, Dual and Bi-Ventricular), Peripheral Vascular Arteriogram and Angioplasty/Stenting, cutting edge in Bronchoscopy procedures from Cryo Spray of tumors to fiducial placement for Cyberknife, Bone Marrow collection. Cardiovascular Pulmonary Lab nurses will work closely with patients to perform medical intake in preparation for procedures and assist during the procedures by administering IV moderate sedation, monitor patients’ safety and comfort, intra-op electronic documentation and specimen collection.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor’s degree in Nursing preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse upon hire; BLS and ACLS required.
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two years of hospital-based, critical care nursing experience (ICU, ED, PACU). IMC nurses may be considered for this position.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Must have current knowledge and techniques of nursing care including moderate sedation, cardiac monitoring, starting IV's, and patient teaching. Must be able to learn principles/procedures associated with assisting in hemodynamic monitoring, cardiac angiography, and identification of ischemic changes during procedures and use of radiographic equipment. Must demonstrate adaptability and flexibility and be able to act quickly, independently and remain calm in stressful and emergency situations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides direct patient care, incorporating the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation), prior to, during and after all clinical procedures; participates in the ongoing evaluation of quality assurance.
- Administers routine medications during invasive and non-invasive cardiovascular procedures and delivers appropriate drug and therapeutic interventions during emergency situations.
- Maintains standards which ensure a safe, therapeutic environment for cardiac cath lab patients and personnel.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.