Registered Nurse: Interventional Radiology / Neurology
About the Job
***DAY SHIFT OR NIGHT SHIFT AVAILABLE***
Throughout MedStar Health, our neuroscience programs use a team approach to effectively treat some of the region’s most complex cases of stroke, aneurysm, epilepsy, and cancer—as well as disorders of the brain and spine—and to offer new options and hope to all of our patients
Be on the forefront of this emerging neuroscience program with MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center. This interventional and neuro-interventional program will be supported by a clinical staff of specialty trained interventional radiographers and nurses. Working under the guidance of nationally and regionally renowned neurosurgeons, neuro-interventionists and vascular specialists, become a part of this state of the art program enhancing the quality of life for patients in and around the Baltimore area.
- Independently provides critical and skilled nursing care to patients in all Imaging disciplines including cardiac catheterization.
- Valid RN license in the State of Maryland.
- 1 year RN experience (critical care nursing experience; patient teaching experience preferred).
- CPR certification. ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) certification preferred.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to precept. Demonstrated high level of clinical competence. Effective interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication. Basic math skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleans room and equipment between cases. Ensures a sterile environment in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Identifies and acts upon opportunities to improve the environment of care.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations. Seeks opportunities to participate in developing, revising standards of practice to meet changing patient population requirements.
- Ensures accurate documentation before, during, and after the procedure; furnishes and receives appropriate reports; and, issues patient instructions. Consistently demonstrates effective documentation practices and develops strategies to ensure complete documentation of patient care.
- Initiates and completes the Quality Assurance Study forms for indications and complications associated with the procedure.
- Instructs radiology staff and students in proper nursing procedures, isolation, venipuncture, sterile techniques, CPR, Standard Precautions, and safety.
- Maintains arterial/venous hemodynamic monitoring lines throughout the procedure. Provides skilled assessment of cardiac status.
- Monitors rhythms; records EKGs; and monitors pressure data, hemodynamic monitoring values, cardiac outputs, wave forms, and standardization of equipment. Performs or assists with the performance of such life saving techniques as CPR, defibrillation, and cardioversion as needed.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prepares final computerized report following each invasive procedure.
- Prepares patient and room for procedures. Instructs patient in pre and post-catheterization procedure care. Verifies that patient information and signed contract have been obtained and are available. Assesses patient and chart to ensure readiness for scheduled procedure. Notifies physicians of abnormal findings.
- Scrubs and/or assists physician with invasive procedures. Performs skilled tasks required during diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including monitoring of patients, accurate input and retrieval of information, administration of IV therapy and medications, cardioversion or defibrillation, injection of contrast media, flushing of sheaths and catheters, manipulation of wires and catheters, and operation of radiologic equipment based on the needs of the laboratory and at the discretion of the physician.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.