LPN MedStar Ambulatory Services (Washington, DC)
About the Job
MedStar Ambulatory Services is committed to providing world-class, compassionate care to every patient, every time, at every touch point. All associates are accountable for their role in meeting patient experience standards. Responsible for nursing care planning and treatment of ambulatory patients and their families during episodic and chronic visits under the direct supervisor of a licensed provider. Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the quality of patient care.
Valid LPN license in the District of Columbia, Maryland and/or Virginia.
2 years experience in a medical office or ambulatory health setting; emergency room or clinical experience involving substantial public contact preferred.
Valid LPN license in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia, or any combination as required based on work location(s). CPR certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions. Basic computer skills preferred.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Attends all scheduled meetings including, but not limited to regular staff meetings and training classes for safety, infection control, OSHA, CPR, and others as required.
2. Collaborates as part of the primary medical care team to formulate and document ambulatory care plans for patients and families.
3. Communicates patient's clinical information clearly and accurately in verbal and written format. Assures that medical record in current, accurate, and contains appropriate documentation.
4. Completes nursing assessments and conducts ongoing assessments of patients and families.
5. Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
6. Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission, vision, goals, objectives and patient care philosophy.
7. Develops and/or implements a health education plan for each patient/family unit and for groups of patients.
8. Evaluates patient progress, conveys information to the physician, and coordinates appropriate follow-up actions.
9. Implements medical orders and performs all procedures including, but not limited to, administration of medications by mouth or injection, administration of IV fluids/medications, venipuncture to obtain blood samples for testing, respiratory procedures, patient instructions, and any other duties within the standards of practice.
10. Implements medical orders and the primary medical care plan for each patient.
11. Maintains current knowledge of accepted professional nursing practice and applies knowledge to the professional practice setting. Participates in policy and procedure development and training (site specific and/or companywide).
12. Monitors the accurate and timely update of log books.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
14. Processes telephone inquiries and performs telephone triage.
15. Serves as the primary backup for the duties and responsibilities of other positions at the site.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.