Manager, Data Science
About the Job
Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you'll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
The Manager, Data Science will be in our Real Estate department in our San Diego, CA location and will manage the development process of complex, geographically based statistical models; complex scripts; data mining techniques; analyses and reports to provide our senior leaders in order to optimize our store performance and portfolio. Oversee the mining and utilization of a wide range of data for the purpose of new site/location selection and sales projections, market selection, territory design, remodel program optimization, demographic profiling, clustering and general spatial analysis tasks supporting marketing, merchandise planning, operations and other areas throughout the company. Evaluate current GIS and analytical systems and procedures, develop and implement process and procedure improvements. Additionally, work with senior leadership to conceptualize and execute a national strategy promoting the Company’s integrated services proposition, including the full-service veterinary clinics.
Essential Job Functions: The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Present the analytical perspective for content presented in Real Estate Committee meetings.
- Work with the Director of Real Estate Data Sciences to provide strategic vision while interacting with executives to determine the direction of the Real Estate Analytics team and communicating how data should drive key business decisions.
- Develop data mining techniques, complex scripts, and statistical models to facilitate the team direction and goals.
- Develop opportunities for spatial modeling and GIS applications throughout Petco.
- Work with SVP of Retail Market Expansion to develop and operationalize a national strategy for integrated services, including full-service veterinary clinics.
- Develop and support a cross-functional go to market strategy for in-store integrated services including but not limited to site selection, execution of grand openings strategy, and the enhancement of the in-store customer journey/experience and CRM outreach.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive reporting procedure to track key performance initiatives as related to the rollout of integrated services in stores; reporting to include high level dashboard trackers to be delivered to senior leadership as well as more detailed customer level analytics to better understand the enhanced customer experience.
- Work with key collaborators to develop a sustainable labor model for in-store integrated services experience.
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
Supervisory Responsibility: Accomplish enterprise-level objectives by leveraging the capabilities of a team of highly-rained statisticians, analysts and developers, including these specific direct reports: Marketing Planning GIS Analyst Technical Data Mining Analyst.
Work Environment: The majority of job duties are conducted while seated indoors at a computer terminal, with little or no exposure to hazards. Occasional travel may be required site evaluations, presentations or training.
Bachelor's Degree in Data Sciences (Computer Programming, Statistics, or Economics); Master's Degree is strongly preferred; PhD a plus.
5 years progressively responsible and complex related experience in spatial and real estate related analysis.
Experience with retail store operations and/or capital planning strongly preferred.
Qualified candidates will possess advanced modeling and analytical skills including statistical applications, MS Excel and R; SAS, SPSS, SQL, GIS systems is a plus.
Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously; advanced hands-on experience working with databases also required.
Strong presentation and interpersonal communications skills are necessary due to the nature and level of interaction with senior management and other department personnel as well.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.