Lead Engineering Technician
About the Job
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
This position is located in Franklin, MA in the Chemical Analysis Division (CAD).
How you will make an impact:
As an R&D/E Lead Engineering Technician, you will help design and develop analytical instruments that will be used to measure gas and particulate pollution in ambient air and in emissions from power plants and other industrial sources. The technician works as part of a multi-disciplinary team, designing, building and testing electro-mechanical devices, rack-mount enclosures and state of the art analytical instruments. The R&D/E Lead Engineering Technician reports to the Mechanical Engineering Manager and will be part of the Environmental and Process Monitoring group within the Chemical Analysis Division.
What you will do:
- Perform experiments under the direction of a scientist, engineer or project manager
- Collect and manage test data
- Perform basic graphing and data analysis procedures in MS-Excel
- Build and leak-test basic gas and aerosol test systems
- Provide mechanical and electrical support to assist with fabrication of prototype instrumentation
- Assist with the design review, installation, and field testing of prototype designs. Some Field travel is required as part of the job.
- Help transition new products from R&D/E to Manufacturing and Service
- Maintain a safe, organized and properly stocked lab area
- Create Engineering Change Requests and Notices.
- Work closely with suppliers in identifying components and resolving problems.
How you will get here:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Technology, physical science or a related field with two years of work experience or an associate’s degree plus five years’ experience is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with trouble-shooting electrical/mechanical equipment is required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of test equipment is required. For example, multi-meters, oscilloscopes, pressure sensors, and mass flow controllers.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of common analog and digital circuits and schematics, and is able to work with, and understand mechanical drawings and models.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required.
- The suitable candidate will be a highly motivated and team oriented individual with excellent communication skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Completes tasks in effective and/or resourceful ways.
- Demonstrates considerable judgment and initiative in resolving issues, analyzing data, and completing assignments.
- A proven record of delivering results on schedule is expected.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel as a scientific tool.
- Experience in an analytical laboratory is helpful, but not required.
- Field experience with environmental monitoring, installation and operation of gas and particulate samplers and analyzers is desired, but not required.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.