Indoor and Outdoor Pool Lifeguard
About the Job
Are you looking for a summer job where you can use your lifesaving skills while working as part of a dynamic team? Through their skills and actions, Greater Boston lifeguards create a safe and welcoming place for community members. We are seeking new team members who possess high standards, a strong customer service orientation and great teamwork. The Aquatics Team is a lively and fun group to work with.
Greater Boston welcomes staff from diverse backgrounds. Our organization is guided by Jewish culture and values (which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish). Kindness, service, and joy are examples of the values we live by. Our pool members also come from diverse backgrounds.
- Ensures the safety of every pool patron through education, vigilant preventative guarding, first aid, emergency medical services, and rescue services
- Provides consistent pool coverage and smooth transitions between shifts through planning, punctuality and personal accountability
- Enforces the rules and regulations of the pools consistently
- Maintains good working relationships with staff members, maintenance personnel, administrative personnel, and pool patrons.
- Resolves member concerns in a professional manner or escalates them, as appropriate
- Creates pool related documentation (e.g. opening/closing checklists, bather tracking and incident reports)
- Able and willing to follow directions from supervisors and follow protocols
- Maintains a safe and neat pool area; assist in pool maintenance by performing scheduled checks, cleaning and maintenance
- Develops professional relationships with members
- Conducts swim tests
- Be familiar with, and follow the pool schedule - including correctly configuring lane lines according to the schedule.
- Attend all mandatory trainings and in-services
- Support goals and objectives
- Learn all aspects of the pool facilities and its daily operations. For example, swim lessons, camp swim, etc.
- Be familiar with 'traffic flow' in pool area and support social distancing procedures in the building
- Participate in weekly skill checks
- Serve as a member of the agency Fitness Staff with responsibilities, which, at times, extend beyond the limits of his/her specialized functions
- Other activities as required by the organization
Current/valid American Red Cross Lifeguard certification, with CPR, AED and First Aid.
Must be 16 years of age or older at time of hire.
In addition to a rewarding position where you care for a community, the Greater Boston provides competitive benefits including:
- Complimentary summer access to the Greater Boston facility in Newton - offering indoor swimming and workout facilities
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding working environment including free parking
- Able to see, hear and cognitively recognize situations requiring lifeguarding services
- Capable of working in a high temperature and high humidity environment for extended periods while wearing required personal protective equipment
- Able to make safety related decisions and perform CPR and/or first aid, as required
- Read, write, understand and speak English
- Must maintain an appropriate level of fitness in order to competently perform all job related tasks including the ability to swim distances and dive to pool depths, as determined by testing/certification authorities, and to lift 150 pounds or heavier weights with assistance and/or the use of proper equipment.
- Must be able to use a computer
Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and members very seriously. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC, DEEC (Department of Early Education and Care) and the local and state Departments of Public Health. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and members. Currently, there is no evidence that COVID-19 can spread to people through recreational water.
Staff will be required to wear appropriate personal protective gear while onsite. Members and staff are expected to wear masks at all times, except when in the water or eating. Physical distancing will be adhered to throughout the day. Guests and staff will be encouraged to hand wash often and sanitizer will be readily available. Additionally, we conduct a health screen for all users and staff prior to entering the facility each day. This screening includes a questionnaire about symptoms and possible exposures as well as a temperature check. Greater Boston will also conduct remote interviews and virtual meetings ahead of the summer.
If you have the qualifications described above and seek to be part of a dynamic, collaborative and family-friendly team, please apply by sending your resume and a cover letter to Aquatics@jccgb.org . For more information or questions, please email HRoss@jccgb.org