Day Camp Wall/Tree Climbing Specs
About the Job
We're the secret sauce of summer for over 3,500 children throughout the Chicago area.
Every Summer, the Apachi J Camps - each with its own special blend of camp - become the place where kids learn to spread their wings, test the waters, push their envelope and find their bliss.
is looking for a high energy, athletic, enthusiastic Wall/Tree Climbing Specialists to lead and teach our campers in an outdoor camp environment. The Climbing Specialists are outdoor adventure enthusiasts help campers build skills and self-confidence through wall climbing, tree climbing and small ropes course challenges.
Key Essential Job Duties:
- Climb ladders/heights without fear.
- Physically climb 20 feet harnessed.
- Lift/move children up to 45 lbs.
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
- Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children.
- Ability to assist getting children on and off the bus and or cars.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children ages 3 - 12 years old.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Actively participate with children during games including running & climbing.
- Move around with children at their pace and be actively involved with children rather than just watching them.
- Supervise children, always keeping them in sight and sound.
- Know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors. Prevent, circumvent, and deal with problem behaviors appropriately and effectively.
- Maintain a sense of calm and perspective with physical and mental alertness during stressful times.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Ability to run up to 100 yards (in the case of a emergency).
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
'Z' Frank Apachi (Northbrook): June 14-August 13, 2021
Elaine Frank Apachi (Lake Zurich): June 4 - August 7, 2021
Day Camps offer a great salary, bonus opportunities and a fun work environment!
Minimum 18 years of age. Must be willing and able to acquire the climbing wall certification prior to the beginning of camp ( training provided during orientation ); previous experience working climbing walls helpful but not required . Must be able to climb a tree and have a strong comfort level with heights.