As a Manager, Special Events - Asia Pacific (APAC), you are responsible for developing the strategy and leading the project management and planning for the General Manager and Commercial Services Leadership Conference. This position will work with executive partners and business collaborators to understand conference objectives, requirements, fund allocation, and timelines to plan the scope of the conference and build the event strategy.
You will lead the commercial conference elements and collaborate with the global special events team to define the conference objectives and narrative for commercial, and cross-collaborate with others to ensure all workstreams are accurately defined and implemented. The Manager will also suggest initiatives to reach the goals of the event for the business owners' approval, and if approved will lead the planning and activation of those initiatives!
This event is a large conference of around 1,000 people, vendor showcases / trade shows with multiple general sessions, learning tracks, breakout sessions, off-site events, and meal functions.
What will I be doing? As the Manager, Special Events - APAC, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Develop the conference project plan and lead calls with Special Events Managers and other core team members to ensure conference tasks are documented and completed on time
- Develop agendas, presentation decks via PowerPoint, and lead meetings with executives
- Lead management and tracking of tasks using established project management software
- Prioritize and delegate work to vendors and project team members accordingly, while ensuring optimal allocation of resources
- Lead all event logistics with planning team, including scheduling the dates, housing (room blocks), breakouts, booths / tradeshows, shipping / receiving, staffing, supplies, transportation, sponsorships, audio visual, amenities, VIP / executive logistics, speakers, event technology and others as assigned
- Lead RFP and RFQ processes with agencies, vendors, event venues, and hotels
- Lead the sourcing and contracting of hotel, convention center, destination management company (DMC), agency partner, transportation, entertainment, speakers, booth vendors, and any other vendor partners as needed. Work with Hilton Supply Management and Hilton Legal teams to implement.
- Lead planning calls with internal Hilton teams and agency partners and ensure timely follow-up with next steps and notes
- Plan for feedback mechanisms and implement more efficient processes
- Assess and communicate event / meeting potential risks to address as needed, providing potential solutions as applicable
- Lead events from conception to planning and execution. This includes participating in the tactical planning process for meetings and events.
- Connect with the conference team and finance lead to run the event funding, track and report expenditures, pay invoices, and reconcile event billing
- Align with Hilton Travel and Entertainment (T&E) policy (or Strategic Meetings Management Programs - SMMP policy) for event compliance, including legal, branding, procurement, and financial
- Formulate and distribute regular reports to update partners on all event elements, such as attendee registrations, work completed, work in progress, and upcoming timelines
- Guide direction of event creative and branding, maintain relationships and approvals with vendors and internal members to confirm consistent messaging, branding, and identity across workstreams
- Plan site visits including creating visit / meeting agendas, coordinate with hotels and agencies
- Travel for site selections, pre-planning meetings and execution of final event
- Work with conference coordinator to maintain organized and accurate storage of all documents and files
- Manage coordinator, event contractor(s) or interns as assigned by Director
What are we looking for?
A Manager, Special Events - APAC serving Hilton Brands is always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviors, skills, and values that follow:
- Ability to think quickly and accurately during all phases of the planning process and be well-versed in all aspects of meeting and event planning
- Communicate effectively with executives, partners, internal team members, company representatives, contracted event planners, meeting participants, and vendors
- Experience leading large-scale conferences, including trade show / supplier showcase components, multiple general sessions, meal functions, breakout sessions, and technology components
- Experience working directly with and presenting to executives (“c-suite”)
- Organized and meets timelines with attention to detail and process as well as possesses planning skills
- Solve problems through analytical skills optimally and creatively while maintaining a high level of flexibility, professionalism, and integrity
- Ability to learn new skills in different event / meetings-related areas
To fulfill this role successfully, you should demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- 3 to 5 years of event experience (exclusive of hotel event management experience), specifically in strategy, leading, planning and implementing large scale conferences for 500 to over 1,000 attendees
- Experience in directly managing / leading team members or partners
- Ability to exhibit strong PowerPoint presentation development
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel and Teams
- Able to travel between 20 to 50%
- Ability to lift and move heavy boxes during tradeshows and events as well as stand for long periods of time
It would be useful in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- BA / BS Bachelor's Degree
- Previous experience working for an events production agency
- Project management tools
- Proficiency in Chinese language will be a plus to liaise with counterparts in Greater China
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!