With thousands of hotels in over 100 countries and territories, Hilton offers countless opportunities to delight. From an open door to a welcoming smile and an exceptional experience, we offer the millions of travellers who stay with us every year a welcome they will never forget. In addition to our flagship brand, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, the family of brands includes Waldorf Astoria, LXR, Conrad, Canopy, Curio Collection, DoubleTree, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton and many others.
If you appreciate the impact global travel can have on the world, you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Hilton Team Member. Because it's with Hilton where we never forget the reason we're here: to delight our guests, Team Members, and owners alike.
The core responsibilities of the Assistant Financial Controller (AFC) are to ensure and maintain a smooth day to day work routine within the Finance department, as well as the effective co-ordination and control of the month-end process.
What will I be doing?
As the Assistant Financial Controller, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
• Supervise and manage the daily work of the Finance department.
• Ensure and be responsible for the accuracy and propriety of all charges and credits to the various accounts and that they are properly recorded in the books on a timely basis.
• Ensure that all balance sheet transactions are accounted for documented and properly reconciled and the accounting records comply with local laws and regulations.
• Review weekly bank reconciliation / monthly balance sheet reconciliation / analyses.
• Fully conversant with the Hilton standard chart of accounts and the correct use thereof.
• Ensure the month end closing process is completed and the timely preparation of all required financial reports for review by the Director of Finance.
• Ensure the accuracy and prompt monthly and year-end closing of the books of accounts.
• Ensure that policies and procedures are in compliance with Finance Standard Practice Instructions (SPI).
• Understand the requirements of the Internal Control Programme (ICP) and SOX and ensure that the hotel is in compliance with both by performing regular audits.
• Assist in the completion of forecasts and budgets as instructed.
• Prepare monthly financial reports and schedules as directed, required by management and owners.
• Thoroughly familiar with the duties and procedures of other team members under your supervision within the Finance department.
• Assist and coordinate the internal and external audit process.
• Conduct Payroll Audit if AFC is independent from payroll cycle.
• Ensure the hotel follows the government tax regulations and submit tax on time.
• Represent and liaise with all government authorities in regard to local tax matters, Price Control Bureau, foreign exchange, banks, pensions, etc.
• Liaise with local insurance companies regarding issues pertaining to local insurance coverage / issues.
• Be familiar and keep up to date with, all policies of both the hotel and Hilton insofar as finance is involved.
• Monitor daily bank cash position to ensure no overdraft incurred.
• Capable of functioning as Controller for short periods of time in the event that the Director of Finance / Financial Controller is away from the hotel.
• Hands on and take an active role in daily activities within the department, ensuring that all work is up to date and assist team members where required.
• Assist the Director of Finance / Financial Controller in providing commercial and financial information to assist in any decision-making process.
• Ensure PDRs are completed on schedule and actively develop team members' skills and behaviours.
• Oversee the training of Finance department team members.
• Coordinate departmental leave and organize the coverage of positions during team member absence.
• Create a pleasant working environment, ensuring productive and efficient work practices within the Finance team.
• Ensure that all internal control procedures are strictly adhered to and communicate any perceived weaknesses to the Director of Finance / Financial Controller.
• Maintain an adequate and up to date filing system.
• Handle all requests and enquiries in a timely, efficient and friendly manner.
• Minimize the risks of accidents and workers compensation costs by ensuring the correct work practices are used and that the area is safe from hazards.
• Carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What are we looking for?
An Assistant Financial Controller serving Hilton Brands is always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviours, skills, and values that follow:
• University Degree, preferably in Commerce, Accounting & Management or any other Accounting qualification.
• Finance / Accounting major and certified, e. g. ACCA/ CPA.
• At least 5 years of relevant working experience and previous experience in a managerial operational accounting role.
• Fluent in English, both verbal and written to meet business needs.
• Possess system skills in OnQ, Check SCM, SUN, OPERA/ OnQ PMS, MICROS, HRLINK.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
• Good communication and analytical skills.
• Flexible in relation to working hours, especially at month and year-end.
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travellers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!