Front Desk Agent, Part-Time
About the Job
Highgate is a leading real estate investment and hospitality management company widely recognized as an innovator in the industry. Highgate is the dominant player in major U.S. gateway cities including New York, Boston, Miami, San Francisco and Honolulu, with a growing Caribbean and Latin America footprint. The hospitality forward company provides expert guidance through all stages of the property cycle, from planning and development through recapitalization or disposition. Highgate has a proven record of developing its diverse portfolio of bespoke lifestyle hotel brands, legacy brands, and independent hotels and resorts with contemporary programming and digital acumen. The company utilizes industry-leading revenue management tools that efficiently identify and predict evolving market dynamics to drive outperformance and maximize asset value. With an executive team consisting of some of the most experienced hotel management leaders, the company is a trusted partner for top ownership groups and major hotel brands. Highgate maintains corporate offices in New York, Chicago, Dallas, London, Miami, and Seattle. www.highgate.com.
Located in the heart of downtown Providence, Rhode Island, the 294-room Graduate Providence is a landmark hotel with an illustrious past. Designed by the celebrated firm Warren and Wetmore, the architects behind New York City’s Grand Central Station, the hotel debuted to widespread acclaim in 1922 and quickly became the tourist and social center of Providence. Today, deeply woven within the city’s fabric and culture and beloved by generations of guests, the Graduate Providence is an authentic Providence tradition. The Graduate Providence is a member of the Historic Hotels of America.
The main function of the Front Desk Agent is to check guests into and out of the hotel. The Front Desk Agent must maintain a welcoming attitude and welcome all service questions and requests.
The Front Desk Agent is directly responsible for the prompt, efficient, courteous check in and check out of guests, and for meeting many other guest needs during their stay. The Front Desk Agent is also responsible for the collection of monies for services rendered during a guest stay.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Highgate standards, as required by scheduling which will vary according to the needs of the hotel(s).
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing the proper uniform and nametag while working.
- Comply at all times with Highgate standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times. Be attentive, friendly, helpful, and courteous to all guests, managers and fellow employees.
- Respond to all guest requests, problems, complaints, and/or accidents presented through the front desk, comment cards, letters and/or phone calls, in an attentive, courteous and efficient manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Check guests into or out of hotel.
- Confirm credit and payment method at check in.
- Confirm full payment at check out.
- Log all requests and confirm completion.
- Log guest interaction in folio to keep communication with other departments current.
- Direct guests to daily functions within hotel.
- Complete shift checklists
- Complete bucket check (day shift/night shift)
- Review PMS inventory and House count for availability and rates.
- Assist guests with booking, changing and canceling reservations as needed.
- Balance and prepare individual paperwork for closing of shift.
- Balance bank daily.
- Maintain and market special guest programs.
- Book reservations for day of arrival or future stays
- Will also be required to perform the duties of a hotel concierge as necessary.
- Run copies and charge guests as needed.
- Send faxes and charge guests as needed.
- Run daily arrival report and block for special requests accordingly (i.e., VIP’s, smoking requests, bed/room type requests, amenity requests, etc.)
- Distribute faxes, packages, and mail to guest services for delivery, or inform guest of receipt.
- Stock and clean workplace for next shift.
- Distribute billing reports to Hotel outlets.
- Block bus tours and notify Housekeeping.
- Answer phones and run rooms control as necessary.
- Load PMS, PC, Fax and Xeta Phone printers as necessary.
- Other duties as required.
Education & Experience:
- Experience in a hotel or a related field preferred.
- High School Diploma required and a college degree preferred.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- Light work – Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and /or 10 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand during entire shift
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must work well in stressful, high pressure situations
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying, and solving problems as necessary
- Must be able to assimilate complex information, data, etc. from disparate sources and consider, adjust, or modify to meet the constraints of the particular need.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the concerns and issues raised by co-workers and guests
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
For California Applicants Only
Highgate Hotels, L.P. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains the policy of recruiting and retaining the best-qualified personnel who demonstrate the ability to perform competently and work well with others. It is the policy of Highgate Hotels to provide equal employment opportunity regardless of race (including traits historically or culturally associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress and religious grooming), color, age (40 and over), genetic information, disability (mental and physical), medical condition (as defined under state law), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under section 12801.9 of the California Vehicle Code), ancestry, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression), sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, parental status, domestic partner status, citizenship status, pregnancy (including perceived pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, or pregnancy-related conditions), military caregiver status, military status, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy of nondiscrimination is applied to all aspects of the employment relationship. The Company complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and applicable state and local laws in ensuring equal opportunity and employment for qualified persons with disabilities. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.