Systems Manager - Surgical Materials Management, Full Time
About the Job
Lead, implement, monitor, measure, and direct supply chain activities within the surgical services area across all hospitals. The Systems Manager Surgical Materials Management’s primary focus is primarily responsible for supporting Operating Room operations through inventory management and fostering a collaborative environment between supply chain and the clinical surgical services team members. This position is responsible for maintaining surgical supply locations including perpetual inventory, storerooms, Periodic Automatic Replacement (PAR) locations, and all Just In Time (JIT), Bulk, and Low Unit of Measure (LUM) automated delivery systems throughout Surgical Services. The leader in this position will partner with all stakeholders in promoting clinical integration within supply chain and demonstrating the values of team concept on a consistent basis.
- Build and maintain relationships with key surgical vendors holding them accountable to Health First and every hospital’s Supply Chain policies and procedures.
- Manage and direct assigned Hospital Material Management Staff, including but not limited to Materials Management Associates, Inventory Specialists, Surgical Inventory Specialists, Surgical Coordinators and Lead Surgical Materials Associates.
- Manage Associate’s daily assignments and performance to achieve department and service goals. Coach and develop associates and when necessary, partner with Human Resources on disciplinary actions.
- Prepare schedule for on-site Surgical Materials Management teams to meet clinical scheduling needs\: manage and direct Surgical Materials Management work schedules and follow through on managing the time-keeping system for staff.
- Manage the daily Supply Chain Clinical Integration with the Operating Room to include ordering, restocking, and Operating Room supplies.
- Plan, direct, and monitor optimization of replenishment processes for all Operating Room inventory areas managed by Supply Chain. Responsible for the management of the Tissue Tracker system, which includes vendor Certifications, Recalls, and Quarterly Inventory Verification.
- Provide leadership, motivation and support to foster professional development and growth of staff, making resources available for ongoing associate education, including the development of evaluation criteria.
- Establish objectives and strategies for Materials Management to align and support Holmes Regional Medical Center (HRMC), all community hospitals, and System goals.
- Perform analytics and assessments of data to accomplish product and process standardization and appropriate inventory levels.
- Collaborate and negotiate with Surgical Service Director, or designee, changes in inventory that optimize cost containment for the service line, while fully meeting inventory fulfillment expectations, and maintain communication to immediate leader and supply chain management to ensure smooth workflow.
- Establish and monitor procedures and adherence to all surgical materials management compliance including, dated product handling and review, product rotation, and review of appropriate stock levels. Facilitate discussions and education with customers and key stakeholders to ensure proper use and compliance of Surgical Materials Management processes. Routinely report compliance and non-compliance to Supply Chain Management.
- Examine productivity and take action to maximize operational output, ensure that key performance indicators are achieved, and monitor metrics to achieve established goals.
- Follow Health First policies and procedures, and all regulatory and licensing agency guidelines such as, American Association of Blood Banks (AABB), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Association of the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), Association of peri-Operative Registered Nurses (AORN), and other governing entities related to role.
- Education\: Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare, Business or a related field required.
- Work Experience\: Five 5 years related experience required; 2 years of supervisory. Surgical materials management experience and may be substituted with education requirement with management approval.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external customers
- Knowledge of medical and surgical supplies.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience implementing new programs aimed at optimizing department operational efficiencies.
- Handle conflicting priorities and time sensitivity in a fast-paced environment.
- Education\: Master’s Degree
- Work Experience\: 3 years of experience working in an Operating Room or Surgery Center environment. Knowledge of supply chain management functions to include shipping, receiving, warehouse storage, distribution, and regulations and related safety requirements.
- PeopleSoft Purchasing or similar purchasing/material management system
- Purchasing cycle from order to vendor return
- Communication with stakeholders and surgeons