Food Production Manager 3
About the Job
Built on a culture of safety and integrity, NMS delivers award-winning, integrated support services to a variety of clients in food service, facilities management, camp services, security and hotel management in Alaska and the continental U.S. We are proud to serve not only our original oilfield clients, but also clients from federal, state and local governments, corporate facilities, healthcare institutions, schools and universities, manufacturing centers, and the transportation and telecommunications industry. Our clients have peace of mind knowing we are committed to delivering best-in-class service, and we bring creativity, technology and experience to every project. Our mission is to provide management and support services at a level of quality, value, safety and expertise beyond our clients’ expectations. At NMS, we expect our employees to fulfill that mission in every aspect of their work.
The Culinary Production Manager oversees the student dining operation, serving breakfast and lunch. This position is in operation for ten (10) months out of the calendar year located in Kotzebue, AK. The position will engage with 10 village production teams on a daily basis, with visits from time to time during serving times to ensure student satisfaction and get client feedback. This site primarily serves as the school dining facility and distribution base for the regional village schools. The multi-tiered management team allows for training in the administration of the National School Lunch Program. Operations include meal production for student’s distribution to 10 regional schools and managing the logistics of the distribution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs a high quality, cost effective general kitchen and food preparation operation.
- Menu planning, ordering, inventory, HACCP, and teaching culinary standards to staff.
- Working closely with various clients, plans a variety of balanced and attractive menus or food service options.
- Develops appropriate recipes and makes sure all required supplies, resources, and materials are purchased, ordered, and available when needed.
- Quality focused with the ability to grow student meal participation while controlling costs.
- Maintains excellent client and employee communications and relations to continuously improve the quality of provided services, resolve problems, and facilitate the acceptance and implementation of new services.
- Plans and implements an effective staff-training program.
- Makes sure the responsibilities, authorities, and accountability of all assigned employees are defined and understood.
- Takes positive actions to facilitate the employment of NANA shareholders.
- Develops, maintains, or approves various administrative matters or materials such as budget expenditures or development, operational reports, cost analysis or records, time sheets, payroll matters, personnel or accounting materials, work schedules, etc.
- Documents positive steps regularly taken to implement an effective safety program.
- Continuously seeks to improve the quality of assigned activities.
- Assures a high degree of sanitation is observed in all assigned areas and responsibilities.
- Conducts special demonstrations, special events, or theme activities.
- Consistently demonstrates professional skills in efficiently carrying out assigned activities, using all forms of communications, handling of change, developing employees, solving typical problems, and making decisions.
- Periodically physically performs all types of high volume food production and preparation duties and fills in for absent employees.
- Performs various inventory and quality control tasks as well as completes various inspection checklists.
- This position is responsible for the supervision of staff.
- Supervisory Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Other duties that are pertinent to the department or unit’s success also may be assigned.
- The Culinary Production Manager will have extensive, formal culinary training, including culinary certification, with particular emphasis on recipe development, menu development, and food/beverage cost control and inventory management.
- At least five (5) years of experience as a food service manager with supervisory skills and knowledge of food preparation, and quality control procedures.
- The ability to operate basic office equipment and software programs to include email, Excel, Word, etc.
- Certain sites may require health, food service, or sanitation certificates.
- A valid Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record for the past three (3) years to be eligible under NMS’ vehicle insurance policy.
- Must be fluent in speaking, reading, and writing English.
- Preference will be given to individual with a minimum of five (5) years of consecutive employment in similar operations with comparable responsibilities.
- Preference will be given to those candidates with national culinary certification(s).
- Preference will also be given to those with prior work experience in a high production setting.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Weather: Indoor/Outdoor (Occasional exposure to extreme weather)
Noise level: Moderate
Office conditions: Pace of work environment: Medium
Customer Interaction: High
Description of environment: Industrial kitchen located in a school kitchen setting.
Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
Physical requirements: Must frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
Travel: Employee may travel up to 25% to various remote locations within the region and may be required to use alternative modes of transportation, including but not limited to snow machines, boats, small airplanes and ATVs. Travel is coordinated by NMS.
NMS Core Values
Safety guides our behavior.
Honesty and integrity govern our activities.
Commitments made will be fulfilled.
All individuals are treated with dignity and respect.
The environment will be protected and sustained.
Excellent interpersonal skills needed to effectively motivate, direct, and lead assigned employees.
Must be proficient in performing many tasks simultaneously while at the same time making sure all details are properly addressed in those tasks.
A recognition that service is a demonstrated attitude and a state of mind, not a task or step.
A dedication to understanding and exceeding customer expectations.
A high energy level or sense of urgency in carrying out assigned tasks.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Shareholder Preference
NMS is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NANA grants employment preference to shareholders of NANA and their spouses and descendants to the extent allowed by law.
It is NMS policy to conduct background checks, drug testing and a physical assessment, as applicable, once an offer has been accepted, in accordance with company and/or contract requirements.
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or via email. In order to appropriately assist you with an accommodation, we ask that you please specify the assistance needed in order to access our jobsite and post for a position. The dedicated email and telephonic options are listed below and are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance.
To request an accommodation by telephone, contact us at: 1-800-478-2000
To request an accommodation by email, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible for inventory management and procurement of food and supplies at an account/unit to ensure client satisfaction and retention for the Company. Manages food production through kitchen staff in a large facility. Contributes to account revenue and operating profit contribution through cost containment and safety. Key Duties- Utilizes Sodexo resources, recipes, systems and programs to direct daily operations including; food production, inventory, product deliveries, invoices, and procurement operations.
- Ensures employees have appropriate equipment, supplies and resources to perform their job, and meet goals, cost controls and deadlines as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains a safe work environment including both food and physical safety in order to comply with all regulatory and Sodexo standards
- Complies with budget requirements by controlling costs (i.e. labor, inventory, equipment, materials) and making adjustments when necessary
- Supervises employees by delegating, assigning and prioritizing activities, and monitoring operating standards
Qualifications & Requirements
Basic Education Requirement - Associate's Degree Basic Management Experience - 2 years Basic Functional Experience – 1 year work experience in food or culinary services including restaurants, fast food, vending, catering services, institutional services, mall food courts, etc.
Sodexo is an EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer.