About the Job
FloSports (https://www.flosports.tv/) is a direct-to-consumer subscription-based sports media company that streams live events across 25 different sports (e.g. Cycling, Track and Field, Wrestling, Racing, Bowling, Marching Band, and more) to millions of athletes & fans around the world.
We are seeking a Software Engineer to join the MileSplit team. This role will optimize our site through iterative development that is focused on creating and improving upon features that are tailored to our growing base of cross country and track & field athletes, fans, and administrators.
- Expected to have a familiarity with front-end and back-end technologies and best practices.
- Knowledge of front-end design frameworks, responsive design techniques with a mobile-first mindset.
- Able to communicate goals, strategies, solutions, and barriers with teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experience with PHP and exposure to frameworks like Symfony, Laravel, etc.
- Exposure to templating engines such as Twig and Handlebars
- Exposure to Docker, Composer, and NPM project managers.
- Experience with development IDEs such as Visual Studio Code or PHPStorm.
- Think on your feet, be able to work collaboratively on a team.
- Experience using CSS preprocessors like LESS and SASS.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud.
- Experience with relational databases such as mySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL.
- Proficient in consuming and building RESTful APIs with JSON and CRUD.
- Familiar with the sports of track & field, cross country, and road running.
- Experience with the Firebase stack including RTDB, Firestore, Cloud Functions, etc.
- Worked with NoSQL databases such as Mongo, Couch, DynamoDB, and especially Firestore or Firebase RTDB. Know when these solutions are appropriate and their pluses and minuses versus relational databases.
- Familiarity with best practices and standards for UX across a broad range of devices. Should thoroughly understand and execute concepts such as mobile-first, progressive enhancement, graceful degradation, adaptive and responsive design--and know the differences between each.
- Have written and appreciate the importance of unit and functional tests, but willing to put results and hitting goals ahead of having perfect test coverage.
- Deliver tested & performant features through an iterative approach: building, measuring, and learning.
- Exposure to caching technology like Redis or similar key-value stores.
- Experience with track & field timing software and systems such as Hytek, FinishLynx, FieldLynx, RaceTab, MeetPro, Ipico/Trident, Race Director, RunScore, etc.
- Experience with track & field or cross country events as an athlete, coach, or timer. Can produce ideas on how to improve an application experience for those roles.
WHO WE ARE:
Founded in 2006, FloSports is a venture-backed OTT subscription video streaming service dedicated to sports, offering live and on-demand access to hundreds of thousands of competition events across 25+ sports in the US and abroad. FloSports' vision is to finally give underserved sports the love they deserve. With a growing library of more than 300,000 hours of premium content including news, expert commentary, films, documentaries and more, FloSports has established itself as an innovator and leader in sports streaming. Finally, your sport has a home.