Field Service Engineer III (Boston)
About the Job
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Boston (proper), MA (50 mile radius)
How will you make an impact?
The focus is the troubleshooting, repair, preventive maintenance and installation of Thermo Laboratory Automation (LAI) products and selected 3rd party equipment at customer sites. A second strong priority is focused on customer relations’ activities intended to generate sales of Thermo LAI Customer Support Services and Service Contracts to customers in this engineer’s area. Also required to perform on-site training relative to system service, maintenance and basic operation of Thermo LAI systems.
- Provides fully automated robotic workflow for Drug Research and Discovery
- Provides full range of robotic products for Instrument loading applications, Application Workstations up to fully integrated robotic systems
- Automated solutions are implemented at Pharma, Biotech and Academic Research centers
- Target applications are primary and secondary screening applications such as High Throughput Screening, High Content Screening and Cell research applications (STEM cells, Pathway Analysis, Genomics, Proteomics and systems biology studies)
What will you do?
- Perform on-site troubleshooting, maintenance, repair and installation on all Thermo LAI products and selected 3rd party instrumentation.
- Perform on-site training relative to system service, maintenance, and basic operation of Thermo LAI systems.
- Answer telephone calls and email from customers with lab system service questions or problems related to software, hardware, or instrumentation.
- Build strong customer relationships with the continual focus on promoting the customer’s use of Thermo LAI Customer Support Services and generating sales of Thermo LAI Service Contracts.
- Generate quotes for any service parts the customer may require and any service calls if needed.
- Prepare contract proposals and related documentation. Initiate, promote and complete the sale of the contract.
- Keep track and maintain local spare parts inventory.
- Diagnose problems over the phone and/or with the use of PC Anywhere. Where necessary, follow up with on-site work or dispatch third-party service providers for on-site work. Follow up to ensure problems were resolved to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Actively monitor the status of contract, warranty and T&M install customers. Track and schedule on-site PM.
- Provide a forecast of service activities at the beginning of each month to Team Leader for review.
- Ensure that all documentation related to in-house and on-site support activity is completed correctly and submitted on a timely basis. This includes maintenance of electronic files, Field Service Reports, and Service Work Orders, and Quotes.
- Perform additional duties or work on projects as deemed necessary
How will you get here?
- Technology diploma in Mechatronics, Electro-mechanical engineering, Electrical or Mechanical engineering, or other related discipline with 5+ years of relevant experience required
- Programming courses (or equivalent practical experience)
- Minimum 5 years practical experience in field service or troubleshooting software and lab equipment
- Working proficiency of Momentum software features and operations is a plus
- Mechanically adept with blueprint reading / drawing knowledge
- Troubleshooting skills
- Prior project management experience is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Organization, planning and time management skills
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- System-level diagnostic skills using inquiries, observations, system schematics & documentation, software tools, and communications / electrical diagnostic aids (break-out box, meters etc.)
- Multi-disciplinary technical skills / comfort with software, electrical, and mechanical systems:
- Comfortable with computers, serial communications, and software - adept with general use of computers, adept with serial communications cabling and diagnostics, and have at least a rudimentary knowledge of programming languages to be able to read a program and understand the logic.
- Comfortable with wiring and pneumatics (schematics, PLCs, power panels).
- Comfortable with mechanical systems (CAD drawings, fasteners).
- Demonstrated experience with automation, robots, and/or instrumentation.
- Achieved System Hardware and Software Integrator skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have a valid passport
- Must be able to travel at least 75% of time, including regular 3 to 5 days onsite visits
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds have a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com