About the Job
Epic Games is seeking generalist Platform Programmers passionate about writing world-class, AAA game engine platform support. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated and be able to design and implement platform APIs, guide cross-platform API development, and create robust platform toolchains as required by the demands of a variety of both gaming and non-gaming related projects. You should have a broad knowledge of modern game engine technology, as well as a good sense of trade-offs between performance, memory usage, and ease-of-implementation.
The person in this role will be responsible for the following:
- Implementing and improving various low level systems that interface with platform APIs. i.e. memory allocators (physical and virtual), file systems, input systems, graphics apis, etc
- Analyzing and fixing common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance problems when running on a particular platform
- Implementing and improving platform toolchains. i.e. compiler/linker support, deployment to device, SDK upgrades, platform specific data management tools, debugger integration, crash reporting, etc.
- Supporting external customers by answering their requests and questions
The ideal candidate will have a mix of the qualifications below:
- Experience in a broad range of engineering areas on shipping games or realtime visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code and deep optimization
- Experience with OS level systems on PC, console, or mobile
- Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design
- Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of game engine and editor concepts
- Familiarity with development tools and profiling on modern systems, including PC, console, and mobile
- Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and power
- Shipped one or more AAA titles or equivalent experience using the Unreal Engine to ship real-time projects
- Demonstrated ability to communicate fluently in English (written and verbal)
Please submit your resume and we'll be in touch soon.
This is going to be Epic!