Environment Outsource Lead
About the Job
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic's success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it's building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we're always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We're constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Art at Epic
What we do
Push your artistic talent to the limit on a team of world-class environment, character and concept artists who strive to innovate and inspire.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic.
What you'll do
Epic Games is searching for an experienced Outsourcing Lead to support and supervise creative content provided by outsource partners. The outsource Lead will provide front-line creative feedback for work submitted for Epic review.
Though the role will be mainly supervisory, the individual should be an experienced artist, having worked in game studio pipelines before, and have a solid hands-on art background.
The ideal candidate would be a talented artist who is able to communicate with outsource partners, including documenting existing pipelines, collecting or creating quality bar and technical example assets, collecting photo reference, creating asset blockouts, creating simple blockout paint overs, and finally packaging all files to send off to the external artists.
In this role, you will
- Work with the Lead and Director level to establish visual direction for our outsourcing vendors
- Collect or generate detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors.
- Clearly communicating feedback to the outsource partner, and ensuring those creative notes and goals are met. Informing leadership in the event that isn't happening.
- Communicate cross-discipline with artists, level designers, game designers, and production to understand needs and goals of props being created
- Make any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and technically game ready as they're handed off from the outsource partner.
- Provide prototype meshes with accurate scale and pivot placement, with understanding of the technical constraints, including vert count management, material setup, and PBR texture creation.
What we're looking for
- Experience in shipping AAA titles across multiple platforms.
- Experienced shipping production assets for games, specifically within the Environment discipline.
- Strong understanding of latest toolsets in game art creation. Including but not limited to, Unreal Engine, Substance Painter, Marmoset, Perforce, and 3D modeling packages
- Must be highly organized, self-driven, customer focused, and a great team player.
- Ability to critique, mentor, and improve art through written feedback loops
- A keen understanding of technical hurdles, ability to autonomously make choices to further art quality, and excellent communication skills are a must
- Experienced working within a team and a high pressure production environment
- You're user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do.
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 1,800+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we've been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic's award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Epic Games deeply values diverseteams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policyhere.