Engineer III, Technical Sourcing - Plastics
About the Job
Job Title: Engineer III, Technical Sourcing - Plastics
Requisition ID: 131090BR
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information:
This individual can be based at any of the following sites that has a strong plastics presence: Rockford IL, Logan UT, Millersburg PA, Carlsbad CA, Austin TX, Asheville NC, Rochester NY.
This positions rolls up to the Life Sciences Solutions Group: Global Technical Sourcing - Plastics.
How will you make an impact?
The Technical Sourcing Engineer, Plastics is responsible for the technical management of our plastics supply base. (S)he will drive cost savings initiates, product scale up, resolve quality issues, and supplier consolidation.
What will you do?
As part of the technical sourcing engineering team working closely with R&D, product development, quality, procurement and commodity managers to align the global sourcing strategy and supply base to drive cost reduction, manufacturing scale up, resolves supplier quality issues. Leads in the procurement and validation of new capital equipment placed at 3rd party contract manufacturers. Primary focus on injection molded plastics parts and assemblies with opportunities in packaging, labware, films, filters, resin, and extruded tubing.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor's in Mechanical, Plastics, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science
- 3+ years of hands on product design, product development, and manufacturing experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Emphasis on complex consumable medical devices
- Relevant experience managing injection molding suppliers and tool makers
- Demonstrated ability to manage vendors, contract manufacturers, and design firms
- Injection molded, machined, and sheet-metal part design
- Injection mold tooling design and procurement
- Understanding Plastics / Injection molding process engineering
- Proficiency in SolidWorks, Pro/e, or equivalent
- Value engineering and process development
- Bonus: Technical expertise in one or more of the following: Medical tubing extrusion, Filtration, Film, Plastic resins
- Negotiation: Ability to work within a highly matrixed organization (Internal)
- Negotiation: Ability to negotiate cost and build should cost models for sourced materials
- Independence: Can work without direct supervision under ambiguous demands within a global organization
- Advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents
- Working knowledge of molecular biology, chemistry, and/or biology preferred.
- Understanding of phase gate development processes and methodologies across multiple disciplines and subject matters is preferred
- Travel - Up to 10% locally and regionally
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.