Senior Patent Specialist Paralegal
About the Job
This is Energizer
At Energizer Holdings, we are passionate about bringing our brands and products to the world better than anyone else. It’s our passion and drive that makes us proud stewards of iconic brands including AC/Pro, Armor All, Energizer, Rayovac and STP, part of our broad portfolio of products that millions of consumers know, trust, and rely on every day.
When you come to work here, you’ll quickly see that we love what we do, we care about each other, and we continuously learn and improve to meet the needs of our customers and consumers around the world.
We have talented colleagues around the world with varied skillsets, backgrounds and experiences, and we embrace this diversity because it’s a big part of what helps us deliver results to grow the company. Whatever your specialty, you'll find that excelling at Energizer provides opportunities to grow in ways you never expected.
Come join our team!
Energizer is a global company that owns an extensive portfolio of some of the World’s most recognizable brands, including Energizer® and the Energizer Bunny ®, Rayovac® , Eveready®, VARTA®, Armor All®, STP ®, A/C Pro® , Eagle One ®, Lexol ®, Nu Finish ®, California Scents ®, Refresh Your Car®, Driven ® and Bahama & Co. ®. The technology and innovation behind these brands is the foundation of their excellence. Energizer is seeking a highly motivated patent paralegal to join our dynamic legal team and handle expansive responsibilities related to our patent portfolio. This position will be stationed in either our St. Louis, MO or Westlake, OH facilities and report to the Senior Counsel, Patents, Technology, & IT.
- Motivated and independent thinker
- Customer focused
- Integrity and Trust
- Attention to detail
- Manage domestic and foreign counsel for the filing, prosecution and maintenance of worldwide patent applications and issued patents.
- Act as a strategic partner with the R&D organization to assist Senior Counsel, Patents to harvest inventions and align the patent portfolio with a dynamic business.
- Work directly with our open innovation team to assist with drafting agreements, including non-disclosure agreements, joint development agreements, material evaluation agreements, technology and patent licenses.
- Prepare and review formal patent filing documentation and ensure outside counsel adherence to Energizer best practices for patent application drafting, filing, and patent prosecution.
- Assist, with help of Senior Counsel, Patents, in delivering patent training and updates to the R&D and legal teams.
- Assist with managing the internal invention disclosure process, and work with R&D in brainstorming and invention harvesting sessions.
- Assist Senior Counsel, Patents with initial review and management of Freedom to Operate, Patentability Searches and other patent clearance projects
- Prepare reports and presentations, collect evidence, forms and documents related to patents.
- Manage and instruct patent annuities on a quarterly basis, including organizing and managing annual meetings to review patent annuities.
- Create and organize new electronic patent and trademark-related files.
- Experience with docketing for domestic and international patent and trademark prosecution and enforcement matters; experience with docketing software, in particular Foundation IP and Legal Tracker.
- Performs other related activities as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience as a patent paralegal, or associate’s degree and at least 7 years of experience as a patent paralegal, or NALA or NFPA certified paralegal and at least 10 years of experience as a patent paralegal.
- Strong knowledge of US, PCT and foreign administrative patent laws and, in particular, filing procedures.
- Familiarity with USPTO’s EFS-Web filing service, and experience navigating outside-US patent office websites/services a plus.
- Familiarity with general principles of trademark law.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to work independently, with a strong self-initiative and minimum direction.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and effectively managing competing priorities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to convey complex legal information in a manner that non-legal professionals understand.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with document management software, docketing software, and electronic billing software platforms
- The ability to conduct basic patent searching is preferred.
- Patent litigation support experience.
- Experience with IP in the consumer packaged goods industry
Working Relationships & Environment
- Reports to Senior Counsel for Patents, Technology & IT.
- Key relationships internally will include attorneys, paralegals and R&D scientists and engineers.
- Minimal travel required.
An Offer to Grow On
Energizer offers a competitive total rewards package which includes a range of health, wellness and retirement savings coverage, paid time off and holidays, and many opportunities to learn, develop and grow. At Energizer, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute and make an impact every single day.
Energizer is an equal opportunity employer, and we prohibit discrimination based on age, color, disability, marital or parental status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.