Director, Transformative Technologies
About the Job
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Life Sciences Solutions Group is responsible for delivering consumables and equipment that aid in advancing science and medicine in drug discovery. This role sits in the Global Advanced Engineering and Manufacturing team
The Life Sciences Solutions Group, Director of Transformative Technologies is responsible for developing and improving new processes in the implementation of future capital expansion in the business. This includes leading and working with engineering and development teams on adapting new technologies into the manufacturing processes.
The role is responsible for deploying capex in creating capacity for the growth of the business. This role will partner with each of the divisional Operations, Engineering, Supply Chain, R&D and respective business management teams as well as the Business Transformation Office. This role is critical developing manufacturing systems that lower the cost of sales and improves the lead time to our customers.
- Lead the engineering and operations teams on critical growth projects that require capex deployment.
- Connect with divisional engineering teams, and 3rd party firms in developing systems that could include automation, machine based learning systems and artificial intelligence that advances manufacturing.
- Investigate and adapt new technologies that could include 3D printing, VR/AR and automation as well as others.
- Develop core competencies in Industrial and process engineering, including leading 3P activities.
- Be flexible in providing support to different engineering teams in how we develop new processes including the use of PPI / Industrial Engineering tools
- Bachelors of Science in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering
- At least 10 years’ experience in an operations and/or engineering function with a focus on implementing new manufacturing technologies or processes
- Preferred experience with new equipment design and site expansion
- Management and supervisory experience leading engineers is preferred
- Ability to think long term, understand the problem and develop a strategy and implementation road map
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with and positively influence leadership and all levels of the organization.
- A holistic thinker who can look enterprise-wide to integrate and streamline systems for optimal benefit.
- Able to drive strategic thinking and continuous improvement in both non-operational and operational areas, including connecting the cross-functional resources to remove waste along the extended value streams.
- Ability to travel 50%, including international
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds have a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.