Director of Operations - Oral Solid Dose
About the Job
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Patheon, by Thermo Fisher Scientific, is transforming the way pharmaceuticals are made with a simplified, end-to-end supply chain for pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies of all sizes. Drug substances and drug products. Development and manufacturing. Small and large molecules. Sterile, oral solid and softgel dosage forms. Patheon offers a comprehensive range of services spanning all phases and scales that is wider and deeper than any other CDMO. Gain instant access to a fully integrated global facilities network. More than 8,000 scientific and professional staff. Over 40 years of experience and innovation. Unrivaled track record for quality and on-time performance.
Our Greenville, NC site facility is a large, multipurpose pharmaceutical manufacturing and packaging campus. This site provides both solid dose form manufacturing/packaging and sterile dose manufacturing, filling and lyophilization of both biopharmaceuticals and small molecules.
POSITION SUMMARY The Director, Operations provides technical and managerial leadership to the operation activities in the assigned business unit. Drives the implementation of operation execution strategies. Partners with the business unit’s leadership team and interacts with the other site and business unit leaders to realize complimentary overall business unit strategies that meet the short term tactical needs and longer term ambition of the business unit. Participates in establishing strategic plans and objectives, making final decisions on administrative or operational matters and ensuring effective achievement of objectives. Guides staff to achieve tactical and strategic business goals; responsible for results including costing, methods, and staffing.
Key Responsibilities: Provides leadership to assigned staff by performing the following:
- leading organizational change; developing and empowering staff; cultivating relationships; putting staff in a position to succeed, meeting their personal career goals while also achieving organizational goals; building effective teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals; driving engagement and creating a climate where staff are motivated to do their best.
- Leads, plans, manages, and coordinates activities necessary to provide products that meet quality specifications and are produced at optimum production cost.
- Ensures proper response and methods are used on all situations that may occur in order to minimize downtime.
- Ensures all production operations and equipment are controlled, validated, and in regulatory compliance and appropriate Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and batch record documents exist and are followed and reviewed regularly.
- Manages to budget targets while providing production with adequate resources in facilities, equipment, and personnel to meet demand as laid out in production schedules and plans.
- Evaluates production efficiencies, variances, and procedures on a continuous basis for process improvement.
- Accounts for ensuring Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs) compliance of manufacturing operations to include operating procedures.
- Supports development and drive implementation of strategic plans that will grow the business with existing customers and potential new customers.
- Supports strategic planning for the company by identifying capital needs, efficiency improvements, and long-term growth plans based upon the company’s financial objectives.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Operations Management or related field
- 8 or more years of operation experience, quality experience or any other relevant experience and includes 2 or more years of management experience.
- Experience with Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs) compliance of manufacturing operations to include operating procedures.
- Experience in implementing or working with an effective continuous improvement i.e. LEAN, Six Sigma, etc.
- Ability to lead, motivate and influence others. Highly talented at team building, coaching and mentoring
- Equivalent combinations of education, training, and relevant work experience may be considered.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 75,000 extraordinary minds have a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.