Sr. Back-End Developer
About the Job
Sr. Back-End Developer
Full time Portland, OR US March 29 2021
OUTGROWN YOUR OWN BACKYARD? COME PLAY IN OURS.
At Columbia, we're as passionate about the outdoors as you are. And while our gear is available worldwide, we're proud to be based in the Pacific Northwest, where natural wonders are our playground.
Every product we make and every task we undertake is inspired by the famous words of our founder Gert Boyle: "It's perfect. Now make it better." As pioneers of relentless improvement, we are constantly evolving.
We believe the outdoors is ours to protect and strive to keep our planet healthy. We believe in empowering people to experience the outdoors to the fullest.
And we believe in you.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Although we're an apparel and footwear focused company, technology is central to everything we do. Columbia Sportswear's Global Information Services (GIS) teams enable an IT infrastructure across four global brands, a global supply chain, and 500+ geographically dispersed stores. These teams support in-store, mobile, and data platforms to enhance customer interface and service in an ever-evolving industry.
As a senior-level developer with strong SQL database skills, you will contribute directly to technical and business teams as an integral member of a cross-functional, Agile development team. Working alongside your development team members, you will support and perform vision, architecture, feature development, and data analysis activities. You will also work closely with the Enterprise Architecture and Enterprise Integration teams to ensure current development and analytical activities align with the technology roadmap and standards. You will collaborate directly with the Product Development Team on a daily basis and provide developers with guidance and hands on application and database solutions.
HOW YOU'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Provide technical expertise to solve complex business requirements that translate into data integration and enterprise systems designs, leveraging modern data storage and processing technologies including SQL Server and CosmosDB.
- Analyze business and technical requirements to architect, and document detailed designs, code and automated tests.
- Serve as expert on databases by defining and documenting architectural design patterns and technology vision
- Take ownership of existing SQL Server solution by supporting, enhancing, and optimizing to align with Columbia's Cloud strategy
- Participate with other developers and architects to establish best practices
- Create & maintain database code using .Net Core, Microsoft Azure PaaS, and SQL
- Create and support integrations with corporate systems using RESTful patterns.
- Define and build automated unit and performance tests using mock data generation
- You have a passion for customers and thrive on designing, developing, and delivering creative and innovative solutions
- You are a builder at heart and want to participate in the strategic technology roadmap, architecture, design, development, and support of solutions that lead Columbia into the future
- Willing to jump in where needed, learn new technologies, and work effectively across the full stack
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively
- You have a passion for continuous learning, leading, and sharing knowledge. Provide subject matter expertise and guidance to less experienced staff members regarding performance management and design best practices
- 8+ years' experience with SQL Server (admin, T-SQL, stored procedures, triggers, and performance tuning)
- Recent experience working with SQL Server 2012+, Azure SQL DB, SQL and No-SQL databases (CosmosDB preferred. MongoDB nice to have)
- Understanding of data management (e.g. permissions, recovery, security and monitoring)
- Familiarity with OLTP structures, their advantages, and limitations
- Knowledge of C# and .Net web technologies
- Experience with hosted Cloud technologies (Azure preferred) migrating on-premise solutions to the Cloud
Columbia Sportswear Company and our portfolio of brands, including Columbia, SOREL, Mountain Hardwear and prAna, know a thing or two about adventures. After all, we've been on one since 1938, working to perfect the art of enjoying the outdoors. Behind everything we make is an employee who's found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that strives to do the right thing.