Patient Access Representative III
About the Job
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Patient Access Representative III is responsible for the check-in and check-out of patients on behalf of medical group physicians and other licensed providers. This role requires a high level of independent judgement in order to successfully coordinate the scheduling of patient appointments across multiple hospital departments. This individual is expected to utilize telecommunications and computer information systems to create accounts, verify information and insurance, collect co-pays, schedule and re-schedule complex appointments. The Patient Access Representative III is best defined as a highly independent and flexible resource that focuses on system-specific service lines that are in alignment with the patient experience initiative. Furthermore, this role must multi-task between different patient care areas to ensure an extraordinary patient experience and that quality standards are met. Additional duties include, but are not limited to: physician to patient communication and serving as an information resource.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Registration and Scheduling:
- Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the flow of the patient registration and scheduling process within the paper and electronic environments. Registers, pre-registers, consents and schedule all patient appointment types, across the clinics, ancillary areas and hospital. Creates pre-registration record and links pre-registration record to scheduled appointments. Proactively coordinates appointments with other functional areas. Maintains department productivity, accuracy, and quality assurance standards while performing these duties. Ensures data is entered accurately for all patient demographic and insurance information. Completes all required legal documents, and obtains and scans all other related documents. Performs cash collection functions, patient pricing estimates, ETC admission.
- Ensures that financial protocols and requirements are met while providing access to service at COH facilities by reviewing account documentation. Maintains and applies current knowledge of insurance requirements when verifying eligibility and confirms authorization is secured prior to forwarding patients to service delivery areas; escalates unsecure financial accounts to management. Provides patient with itineraries, advance beneficiary notice and written instructions for tests and procedures as applicable. Seeks assistance from Financial Counselors when needed to maintain patient flow while resolving financial issues and ensuring financial clearance of account. Provides information and assistance to patients to ensure they understand the Financial Assistance policy and application process. Provides Financial Assistance applications to all uninsured patients. Screens ordered tests and communicate to physician and/or ABN Specialist those tests and/or diagnoses that do not meet criteria to be covered by Medicare
- Assures that the correct pre-registration visit encounter type is linked to the scheduled appointment. Creates a request for authorization of service if applicable. Sends orders for diagnostic tests to appropriate department. Assures that documentation indicating the date of service and the visit number accompanies the orders for diagnostic testing.
- Customer Service:
- Ensure a high level of customer service by greeting, being a resource to patients and visitors. Serve as a liaison between patients and support staff. Develop effective relationships with colleague, physicians, providers, leaders and other employees across the organization. Demonstrates genuine interest in helping our patients, providers and other employees by using excellent communication skills, being polite, friendly, patient and calm under pressure.
- Managing multiple, changing priorities in an effective and organized manger, under stressful demand while maintaining exceptional service. Maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations and responding professionally. Independently recognize a high priority situation, taking appropriate and immediate action. Effectively communicates with service delivery and other departments to resolve issues that impact patient care and escalating issues that cannot be resolved in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Quality Assurance
- Maintains appropriate level of productivity and accuracy for work performed based on department standards. Maintains thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, and standard work within the department in order to successfully performance duties on a day-to-day basis.
- Miscellaneous Duties:
- Performs other departmental duties as assigned, such as answering and making phone calls, managing incoming/outgoing faxes, organizing and filing departmental documents, inventorying supplies, data entry, etc.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School or equivalent.
- Two years related experience registering and scheduling complex patient appointments in a clinic or hospital setting.
- Medical terminology experience required.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- At least two years front desk oncology practice experience.
- EPIC electronic medical record experience preferred.
- Ability to recognize and use medical terminology
- Excellent oral/written communication, interpersonal, collaborative, analytical and organizational skills.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively schedule patient appointments using EPIC EMR for a patient either at point-of-service or over the phone.
- Function with minimal supervision with high level of productivity
- Foster and promote a positive and professional image
- Must be able to foster and maintain sound working relationships.
- Independently motivated and driven to achieve high goals
- Effective use of telecommunications and electronic medical record systems
- Seek continuous improvement in knowledge and skills
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple, changing priorities in an effective and organized manner, under stressful demands while maintaining exceptional service.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain composure when confronted by difficult situations and to respond professionally.
- Maintains commitment to our extraordinary patient care standards and guidelines
- Interpersonal/human relations skills.
- Strong knowledge of PC, phone systems and technology.
- Readily accepts work assignments and changes in a positive manner.
- Skill in recognizing an emergency or high priority situation, taking appropriate and immediate action.
- Job Status: Per Diem
- Shift: Variable - must also have availability to work on weekends. Hours of operation are between 6am-7pm Mon-Fri, and 7am-3:30pm Sat-Sun.
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.