Senior Network Engineer
About the Job
Under the direction of the Manager of Network and Telecom Systems, the Senior Network Engineer is responsible for research, analysis, design, and implementation of cutting-edge technologies to build a resilient and secure foundation beneath all corporate systems. The candidate must possess significant experience in building, transitioning, and maintaining all manner of network and security infrastructure as well as on prem, collocated, and cloud hosting solutions. This person should be aware of the latest technologies and how the company can use technology to our advantage. They will work seamlessly with a blended team of systems engineers, system administrators, third-party consultants, and vendors to support all company systems and technology.
The candidate will possess mastery of and have responsibility for the following skills and responsibilities:
- Network Infrastructure – (Cisco/Meraki) Provide design and architecture expertise in the planning, implementation and ongoing support of companywide routing and switching solutions, including on prem, cloud, and collocated connectivity for companywide implementations.
- Security Infrastructure – (Palo Alto/Fortinet) Provide design and architecture expertise in the planning, implementation, and ongoing support of companywide security solutions.
- Voice Infrastructure – Provide design and architecture expertise in the planning, implementation, and ongoing support of both corporate and store telecommunications solutions.
- Store & Warehouse Hardware Support – Provide design and architecture expertise in the planning, implementation, and ongoing support of CTS retail stores and warehouse networking and telecommunications solutions, including connectivity from stores and warehouse to internet, cloud, iSeries, and collocated company owned resources.
- Cloud Service Environments - Provide scalability, flexibility, and high availability for business applications. Procure and manage third-party / cloud-based hosting services such, i.e., IaaS - Infrastructure as a Service, and PaaS - Platform as a Service, e.g., AWS - Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Services.
- Data and System Backup Services - Ensure that all business data and application backups have sufficient network resources and are successful nightly. Support established Recovery Time Objectives (RTO) and Recovery Point Objectives (RPO). Support and ensure data and applications can be recovered in the event of loss of production instances.
- Disaster Recovery - Responsible for supporting the IT department’s disaster recovery plan and documentation and coordinate semiannual testing of the firm’s DR plan.
- Security & Compliance - Work closely with the Security and Compliance associate(s) in the IT department to ensure that all necessary steps are taken to achieve the goals of the department and the company. Ensure company networks and data protection policies comply with Federal and State regulations. Contribute to enhancing and hardening IT’s overall security posture. Administer and support Managed Security Service Providers, encryption, firewalls and endpoint protection technologies.
- Patching, Maintenance, and Renewals – Maintain a regular network, security, and telecom infrastructure hardware patching schedule. Utilize an “Expiry Calendar” to forecast and track upcoming system renewals for PKI SSL certificates, domain names, and maintenance contract renewals well in advance of their expiration.
- Optimize Application Performance - Install and manage infrastructure components on servers, ensure that technical performance in the infrastructure environment is optimized - e.g., database, and application server performance.
- Monitoring & Alerting – Responsible for Monitoring and Alerting on all networking, security, and telephony infrastructure.
- Productivity and Collaboration Tools - Procure and maintain Workflow and Collaboration tools to help business teams communicate and work together efficiently - i.e., the Windows environment, Microsoft Outlook 365, SharePoint, Teams, etc.
- Storage Area Networks (SAN) - Size, Procure, Implement, and Maintain Storage Area Networks.
- Middleware - Administer middleware application server solutions, e.g., Oracle WebLogic and IBM WebSphere.
- Production Support - Maintain 24x7 availability and support to all CTS production technology and services.
- New and Leading Edge Technologies - Maintain an awareness and build knowledge base of new technologies and their possible advantages and applicable relevance to our business. For example, develop an opinion of how leading technologies such as SDWAN and 5G wireless can benefit our company.
- Third Party Services - Responsible for assessing available communications companies and relevant value-added resellers and making recommendations for new partnerships. Responsible for assessing services offered as well as pricing, quality of service, company viability, et cetera.
- Policies and Procedures - Vigorously support and adhere to departmental policies and procedures, including but not limited to Project Management, Change Management, Incident Management. Ensure your team members do the same.
- Vendor Relationship Management - Maintain good working relationships with our select group of third-party vendors, while also holding them accountable for quality service and results.
- Customer Relationship Management - Maintain good working relationships with business associates at all levels of the organization. Be honest, open, respectful, and helpful. Be empathetic toward business associates, be a good listener and provide pragmatic solutions to their challenges.
- Documentation - Maintains impeccable documentation needed to support network infrastructure, applications and is well versed in effective change management procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Skilled in change management with the capacity to work across all levels of the organization.
- Is responsive, highly available, and flexible in supporting departmental and firm goals.
- Results oriented with a high degree of resilience and perseverance.
- Ability to navigate in the grey and lead others through times of ambiguity.
- A steward of ethics and discretion when handling sensitive information.
- Strategic thinker capable of leveraging data and analysis to identify trends and react with urgency.
- Exhibits curiosity and researches new ways of achieving operational efficiencies.
- Is proactive and able to anticipate obstacles or develop plans that deliver results.
- Able to leverage multiple points of data to reach sound conclusions and develop strategies.
- Strong attention to detail, capable of identifying anomalies and maintaining accurate work.
- Must be hands on with the ability to engage and work with both internal and external resources coordinating between both as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience as a Network Engineer, preferably in the retail sector.
- Experience with Office 365, Amazon Web Services, and Microsoft Azure required.
- Able to travel to stores and other locations as needed.
- Work off hours to implement, upgrade, and replace infrastructure during non-impacting service windows
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 45 pounds at times.
- Take part in and support and on-call rotation for staff to support operations after hours and weekend.
ABOUT CHRISTMAS TREE SHOPS
Christmas Tree Shops is an off-price brick and mortar home goods retailer with a specialty in seasonal products. The Christmas Tree Shops experience revolves around a trend-right, always-changing mix of merchandise that makes each customer visit a shopping adventure of anticipation and delight. The 50-year-old company has roots in the Northeast with the first store located on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and today operates 80 stores in 20 states under the banners of Christmas Tree Shops, Christmas Tree Shops andThat! or andThat!