- Department: Sterile Processing
- Schedule: Monday to Friday / 7am-3:30pm (Flexibility upon department needs, Travel availability)
- Hospital: Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital
- Location: Binghamton, New York
Paid time off (PTO)
Various health insurance options & wellness plans
Retirement benefits including employer match plans
Long-term & short-term disability
Employee assistance programs (EAP)
Parental leave & adoption assistance
Ways to give back to your community
*Please note, benefits and benefits eligibility can vary by position, exclusions may apply for some roles (for example: PRN, Short-Term Option, etc.). Connect with your Talent Advisor today for additional specifics.
The Resource Group, a subsidiary of Ascension, is a business transformation services organization that specializes in resource and supply chain management.
Through implementation of its User-Directed Integrated Solutions, The Resource Group transforms the resource and supply function by delivering value through Operations and Logistics Optimization, Strategic Sourcing, and Change Management. Although it specializes in these areas, as its core, The Resource Group is rooted in the ideals of hospitality and believes that success is measured by the satisfaction of the customer. The Resource Group’s success has allowed it to expand and serve various healthcare systems looking to decrease non-payroll expenses and increase operational efficiencies. Today, The Resource Group serves over 2,700 locations including over 155 acute care hospitals across 22 states and Washington D. C.
This success and value are delivered by The Resource Group’s people, and it is the people and culture that enables The Resource Group to achieve success while working toward the common goal of lowering the cost of healthcare.
As such, The Resource Group believes in:
1) Hiring talent from all industries and demographics to foster innovation and diversity of thought and experience
2) Investing in the people who deliver long-term success to our Participants
3) Transforming the way our associates develop so they can help transform the organizations we serve
4) Creating a culture of continuous learning to prosper in an ever-changing business environment
The Resource Group offers exciting opportunities for all levels of professionals and views resource and supply management as a dynamic career with opportunities for growth and advancement within and across disciplines and teams. Positions are available across a number of strategic resource and supply management roles, allowing multiple entry points into The Resource Group. Learn more about our company our culture and our remote work options at TheResourceGroup. com
This role falls within The Resource Group's Operations and Logistics Optimization Solution. Operations and Logistics Optimization comprises six communities working together to align inventory and data management, operational procedures, and key performance indicators, and to deliver a cost-effective, highly-efficient managed distributor model. By combining a culture of hospitality with leading operations and logistics processes and controls, these communities of skilled associates ensure resource and supply management runs silently in the background and operates in service of physicians, clinicians, leadership, and associates.
The Surgical Support Services team will serve as a horizontal solution to connect case scheduling, instrument and supply consumption tracking, sterile processing, preference card management, revenue cycle, and equipment management to enhance service to caregivers and improve the surgical experience. The Market Development Lead, Surgical Support Services - Sterile Processing provides best practices knowledge, strategy and leadership within a defined geographic area to ensure sustained delivery of quality service to physicians and clinicians, supporting exceptional patient safety, outcomes and customer satisfaction. This position will also provide educational and strategic leadership within their market(s). The Market Development Lead will directly report to the Area Director, Surgical Support Services, with an indirect reporting relationship to the Senior Manager, Associate Experience, Surgical Support Services.
The Market Development Lead, Surgical Support Services, Sterile Processing will closely work with each location’s Manager, Sterile Processing to educate new and existing associates in the department. Reviewing, contributing, and proposing revisions to local policy, procedures and processes as needed, and being a general resource leader and subject matter expert (SME) to the Sterile Processing Department’s Team. Ideally, the Market Development Lead, Sterile Processing will be responsible for (but not limited to):
- Identifying the learning needs of new hires and current department staff in order to plan, develop, and modify individualized educational plans, as well as team curriculum and programs accordingly
- Presents and administers new SPD associate orientation programs for each location
- Provides Quality Assurance reviews and contributes to maintenance of the instrument tracking system
- Identifies individual growth and educational needs of associates, communicating frequently with the local and area SPD managers as requested or necessary
- Contributes to SPD Manager’s education plans for both teams and individuals to ensure greatest opportunities for associate success
- Provides administrative oversight for all Sterile Processing Department associate competency files, ensuring that all related documentation is maintained in accordance with regulatory and management expectations
- Administers the continuing education programs for all locations, ensuring associates are provided with not less than twelve (12) Continuing Education Units (CEUs) each calendar year
- Monitors certified staff’s renewal dates to ensure that they have submitted their certification renewals for receipt no later than the expiration date of the certification to avoid any lapses in current certification status
- Schedules and coordinates all vendor partner in-services, ensuring all associates are provided equal access to ongoing educational opportunities
- Ensures current industry best practices and streamlined processes are in place while proposing recommendations to Leadership if adjustments are justified and required
- May participate in global Value Analysis Considerations at the discretion of Leadership
- Remains up to date on techniques, best practices and community updates by remaining actively knowledgeable and cognizant of all AAMI, AORN, IAHCSMM, SGNA guidelines, as well as federal (e. g. EPA, FDA, OSHA, etc.), state and hospital standards of conduct
- Serves as the SPD Liaison to develop and maintain relationships with market community colleges and/or vocational schools to coordinate clinical experiences, incubating and nurturing potential hiring pipelines for area SPD operational locations
- Considers programmatic implementation, promotion, and ongoing operations for internal SPD Internship Program(s) as needed by the local management
The Market Development Lead must hold at all times their CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician) certification or CSPDT (Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician) as a condition of service. Additionally, the Market Development Lead should have prior experience working as a Sterile Processing Technician, ideally as an Educator, Manager, or Lead Technician. Plus, this individual should have prior experience with data entry, reporting, and writing/revising policies and procedures.
The Market Development Lead provides guidance and recommendations to Managers, Surgical Support Services - Sterile Processing within their market(s) through an indirect reporting relationship. This support associate should model the attitude and culture expected throughout the department and be recognized by Sterile Processing customers. This position remains responsible for providing guidance to staff and is NOT responsible for staffing, or budget compliance, but may participate and/or contribute observations to management in support of staffing decisions, coaching and counseling of associates on work-related performance, and assisting in the management and compliance of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment in area locations. This Market Development Lead also oversees implementation of training initiatives that assure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations. This Market Development Lead should promote professional development and growth of his or her team members.
The Market Development Lead will also be responsible for engaging and building relationships within their area through a foundation of listening, empathy, open and honest communication, and an ability to understand and deliver on the managers’ needs to create desired changes and achieve the goals of Surgical Support Services.
- Builds and maintains relationships with Ascension Surgical Support Services market leadership, listens to end-user needs, moves associate education, growth, and quality assurance initiatives forward, and serves as a subject matter resource when issues arise
- Identifies education gaps and competency opportunities
- Develops and maintains onboarding materials for Sterile Processing associates
- Develops competency programming for all Sterile Processing associates
- Assists in development of standard operating procedures and policy creation in support of local sterile processing departments and adherence to national standards
- Assists in recruitment efforts for roles within the Sterile Processing community
- Collaborates with Ascension Associate Experience and Learning to ensure streamlined delivery of education and training
- Develops and maintains tracking of skills development for all affiliated associates
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement by encouraging identification of opportunities and resourcing solutions for identified opportunities to local management
- Leads implementation within the market(s) to ensure educational and growth alignment with national initiatives
- Leads onboarding activities and development of new training opportunities to improve capability and ensure access, reliability, effectiveness and cost efficiency
- Develops and implements associate and operational growth strategies with focus on quality production
- Observes associate performance; provides ongoing performance feedback, addresses issues, orients and trains associates, monitors workflows and develops plans for process improvement
- Monitors and ensures achievement and maintenance of associate professional certifications
- Develops and maintains standards in consistent instrument and equipment quality; recommends improvements as necessary
- Monitors and ensures adherence to national standards and benchmarks
- Determines needs for systems/equipment/supplies purchases, monitors usage, and oversees proper working order and/or stock supplies
- Develops reporting as required, including staffing, competencies, etc.
- Schedules and coordinates departmental training; oversees on-the-job training
- Performs other duties as assigned
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
- One or more of the following:
- Central Service Tech credentialed from the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM) obtained within 6 Months (180 days) of hire date or job transfer date required.
- Central Service Tech specializing in Sterile Processing credentialed from the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) obtained within 6 Months (180 days) of hire date or job transfer date required.
- Healthcare Leadership preferred.
- Instrument Specialist credentialed from the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM) preferred.
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
- 1 year of experience required.
- 4 years of experience preferred.
- 2 years of leadership or management experience preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred but not required
Well qualified candidates will possess many of the following:
- Five (5) years experience as a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST or equivalent) in a healthcare Sterile Processing environment OR Five (5) years experience as a Certified Surgical Technician with two (2) years SPD experience and current baseline CRCST certification
- Three (3) years experience in a hospital SPD supervisory role, or managerial role preferred
- One year training experience required
- Working knowledge of AORN and SGNA standards of practice, AAMI, CDC, FDA, IAHCSMM, and OSHA guidelines, IAHCSMM technical principles, and in-depth knowledge and experience of The Joint Commission/Det Norske Veritas review processes.
- Knowledgeable in the use of Google Workspace (formerly GSuite), Microsoft Office products, and administrative experience with any electronic learning management system (LMS) platforms
- High School Diploma/G. E. D required
- College Degree (BA/BS) preferred but not required
- IAHCSMM Certified Instrument Specialist (CIS), Certified Endoscope Reprocessor (CER), and/or Certified Healthcare Leader (CHL) strongly preferred
- CRCST or CBSPD Certification required upon interview and within six (6) months for well qualified CST Candidates
- Valid Driver’s License required - Candidate WILL BE REQUIRED to travel between multiple clinical sites. (Travel Expectation < 50%)
- Medium Work - (Exert up to 50lbs force occasionally, and/or up to 25lbs frequently, and/or up to 10lbs constantly)
- Preferred to have exhibited years of successful education and growth programs management of sterile processing to achieve metrics goals
- CRCST; Certified Registered Central Service Technician required, - HSPA (Previously known as IAHCSMM)
- Certified Healthcare Leader (CHL) Preferred but not required
The Resource Group’s value is delivered through its people, and it is our people and culture that enables us to achieve success. We have created an environment where individuals can thrive while working toward the common goal of lowering the cost of healthcare. Passion and hard work are necessary to accomplish this goal, and we are always looking for people who bring a fresh perspective. In addition to the experience listed below, all Resource Group associates embody the following soft skills and attributes: Nice, Bright, High-Energy, Inclusive, Willing to Give Away Power, Inspired by Mission, and Invigorated by Change.
Why Join Our Team
Ascension associates are key to our commitment of transforming healthcare and providing care to all, especially those most in need. Join us and help us drive impact through reimagining how we can deliver a people-centered healthcare experience and creating the solutions to do it. Explore career opportunities across our ministry locations and within our corporate headquarters.
Ascension is a leading non-profit, faith-based national health system made up of over 150,000 associates and 2,600 sites of care, including more than 140 hospitals and 40 senior living communities in 19 states.
Our Mission, Vision and Values encompass everything we do at Ascension. Every associate is empowered to give back, volunteer and make a positive impact in their community. Ascension careers are more than jobs; they are opportunities to enhance your life and the lives of the people around you.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.