Laboratory Assistant (Lab Admin) - PRN/Contingent/Rotating shifts, including weekends
About the Job
Supports technical staff in the delivery of medical laboratory information related to diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Espouses the principals of Lean Thinking and creates a work environment that positively promotes continuous process improvement. Explores opportunities to add value to job (innovative ideas) to benefit the organization and taking ownership of the outcome. Proactively finds other work-related tasks during low census.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations. Labels and disposes biohazard and/or chemical waste appropriately.
- Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation (hand offs).
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies. Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Determines and executes the best method for obtaining biological specimens from patients of all ages as required to include venipuncture, capillary, and heel-stick puncture to ensure quality specimens for testing. Processes gynecologic and non-gynecologic specimens for microscopic evaluation. This includes instrument processing, staining, changing reagents, and cover-slipping. Performs functions to established productivity guidelines with minimal errors.
- Registers patients accurately in the Hospital Information System including, but not limited to, correct date of service, ordering caregiver and special flags; Orders or accessions appropriate tests in Laboratory Information System (LIS) as requested by authorized provider by accurately reading and interpreting orders and being familiar with test mnemonics; Responds to requests for lab results and sends appropriate scheduled reports.
- Prepares aliquots and processes samples for referral to outside labs; distributes specimens to testing or processing locations according to established standard work.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment. Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshoots problems to the full extent of ability
- Actively participate in the laboratory quality plan/program (ex. investigative reports, notification of delays, etc.)'
- Participate in the training of new staff and students by serving as a mentor and technical resource.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Six months experience working in an acute care facility in an equivalent role.
Required License/Certifications: N/A
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.