Sr Data Engineer - (Remote U.S.)
About the Job
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you’re part of something bigger, it’s because you are. At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together—researching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. It’s time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Sr Data Engineer
What you will do
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. In this vital role you will:
Data Understanding & Preparation
- Closely partner with business stakeholders and other technical team members to identify, acquire, and migrate initial data sources that are most relevant to business needs and goals
- Demonstrate deep technical and domain knowledge of client group and understand broader, cross-functional business environment in order to propose potential solutions
- Drive the exploratory data analysis process on newly acquired data sets in order to describe gross surface properties, source, and limitations of data assets and explore and prototype the standardization of these assets
- Collaborate with Data Scientists to normalize and clean data in order to produce robust and high quality data assets
- Determine which tools and architectures are available for pipeline development based on the data source format and current technologies
- Develop data flow pipelines to extract, transform, and load data from various data sources in various forms, including custom ETL pipelines that enable model and product development
- Develop set of data governance rules and frameworks per project, and provide guidance to development of harmonized data layer
- Build data products and service processes which perform data transformation, metadata extraction, workload management and error processing management to ensure high quality data
- Support Data Science team with model design by anticipating and engineering features needed to drive model development and insight generation
- Participate in and/or lead sprint planning meetings and provide estimations on technical implementation to business
Deployment & Documentation
- Provide clear documentation for delivered solutions and processes, integrating documentation with the appropriate corporate stakeholders and collaborating with IS and ontologists
- Develop guidelines, standards, strategies, security policies and change management policies to support the Data Lake
- Ensure that data engineering applications are aligned with the overall architectural and development guidelines
- Identify and implement internal process improvements for data management (automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability)
- Stay current with and adopt new tools and applications to ensure high quality and efficient solutions
- Mentor junior data engineers on best practices in the industry and in the Amgen data landscape
- Apply learnings from across functions and projects to institutionalize best practices, machine learning, and AI into Amgen processes seamlessly
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients.
Or Master’s degree and 3 years of Information Systems experience
Or Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of Information Systems experience
Or Associate’s degree and 10 years of Information Systems
Or High school diploma/GED and 12 years of Information Systems experience
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.