Senior Volunteer Engagement Specialist
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a full-time Sr. Volunteer Engagement Specialist to work in our Chico, CA location. The position is 40 hours/week.
The Sr. Engagement Specialist is responsible for leading, implementing, and executing programs, projects and initiatives to increase and strengthen the engagement of volunteers. Additionally, responsible for the screenings, referrals, and placement of prospective volunteers to effectively support Regional goals and mission critical activities.
1. Manage, train, and lead the regional volunteer screening team. Ensure all prospective volunteers are screened and referred to departments for interviews.
2. Lead and train volunteer leaders to conduct a comprehensive volunteer onboarding program for each Volunteer Services volunteer position.
3. Subject matter expertise and regional resource for volunteer engagement best practices.
4. Lead training on how to use the Volunteer Needs Assessment tool in all departments.
5. Lead training on effective engagement tools and best practices; coordinate scheduled engagement training through Volunteer Services Doctrine and Training courses and webinars.
6. Oversee a team of volunteer leaders to drive volunteer engagement, including youth programs.
7. Regional Point of Contact, regional support to the Volunteer Intake Processing Center.
8. Manage volunteer recognition events across the region for all volunteers.
9. Lead the development and management of the Regional Event Based Volunteer plan.
10. Responsible for monitoring the appropriate usage and implementation of the regional Volunteer Needs Assessment through department collaboration and mutual accountability for results.
11. Provide support to the local leadership and Regional Volunteer Services Officer by:
• Meeting with departments and ensuring alignment of volunteer needs and regional metrics.
• Helping implement strategies and tactics to improve volunteer engagement, including the annual Volunteer Readiness Assessment and identification of key department Volunteer Lead positions.
• Supporting departments with the development and implementation of a volunteer retention strategy and informal recognition promoting the One Red Cross Vision and honoring volunteer service.
• Assisting departments by overseeing the effective use of volunteer management techniques including coaching, volunteer relations, progressive discipline, and termination as appropriate.
• Providing reporting and metric analysis support.
• Monitoring and reviewing volunteer satisfaction data with departments to develop engagement/retention strategies to improve volunteer satisfaction.
12. Serve as the subject matter expert on key volunteer recruitment tools. Train volunteer leaders and department leads on volunteer programs, tools and resources.
13. Support Volunteer Services' regional training plan, which includes in-person and online volunteer supervisor courses.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of related education and experience required.
Experience: 5-7 years related experience required. Volunteer Management experience preferred.
Management Experience: 1 year supervisory experience preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong training and presentation skills.
• Interpersonal skills and the ability to relate effectively to people of diverse backgrounds and education levels.
• Knowledge of group dynamics, customer maintenance techniques, negotiation skills, and the ability to effectively implement programs is preferred.
• Good organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple and continuously evolving priorities effectively are required.
• Recruiting experience OR the ability to effectively communicate and represent Red Cross mission and activities in a positive and realistic manner is required.
Other Skills: Intermediate proficiency with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Team player
• Communication (written & oral)
• Presentation skills
• Building Effective Relationships
Travel: May involve travel. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required.
Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions. Will include working evenings and/or weekends occasionally.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights