About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
At the Red Cross, there is no such thing as a small disaster. In every single case it is the Red Cross' mission to help people affected by disaster meet their emergency needs that include shelter, food, clothing, and health and mental health services. As a paid staff member, you will support our loyal Red Cross disaster volunteers who serve selflessly to provide a bridge of assistance until individuals and families can resume a normal life.
We are currently seeking a part-time (minimum 8 hrs./week), on-call Responder to work in our New York, NY location. Shifts are variable--days, nights, weekend or overnight. MUST have valid Driver's License and be comfortable driving a large van.
Must have open, variable availability (will not work for someone with a full-time, 40 hours/week job). Prefer someone residing in one of the 5 Boroughs.
The Responder coordinates and serves as a resource for daily operations of a Chapter program or service. Acts as a liaison between program or service and its internal and external partners.
Specific responsibilities: Respond to disaster-related incidents and provide services to clients.
1. Implements and coordinates the day-to-day functions that support program or service operations. Coordinates recruitment, training, support, recognition and deployment of volunteers and staff enrolled in Disaster Services Human Resources (DSHR) system. Collaborates with local governmental and community organizations to ensure effective preparedness, readiness and response outcomes during disaster life-cycle. Coordinates basic, intermediate and advanced disaster and related department courses/workshops. Teaches as applicable.
2. Participates on small scale projects which require researching issues, information, data collection, and development of recommendations. Collaborates and supports staff and volunteers in coordinating department's efforts and participation in internal and external drills/exercises.
3. Develops workable program or service implementation plans.
4. Maintains records, reports and statistical data in accordance to National and Chapter standards. Ensures completeness and accuracy of DSHR database information.
5. Collects preliminary client information and refers client to appropriate Red Cross and community services.
6. Independently resolves minor problems and issues which may impact program or service delivery or outcomes.
7. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expect that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
8. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
Education: High School or equivalent. Associates degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum 2-4 years of administrative experience. Ability to manage multiple priorities and have strong skills in planning and problem-solving. Ability to perform tasks with minimal direction and supervision.
Skills and Abilities: Strong verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrates attention to detail. Prioritizes and plans work activities. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Maintains confidentiality; works ethically and works with integrity.
Other: Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Must be able to perform all assigned responsibilities under "grey sky" requirements. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all American Red Cross finance policies and procedures are followed as related to the scope of work activity.
NOTE: Must pass a preliminary evaluation requirement following a probationary training period.
Travel: Will involve field work. A valid Driver's License is required.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights