Regional Philanthropy Officer
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
Do you want to make a difference? Join The American Red Cross, the world's largest humanitarian network. For over 100 years The American Red Cross has been a leader in the nonprofit world.
In order to support our many humanitarian efforts, our organization depends heavily on the support of our generous donor population. The funds we receive provide unrestricted support to our Chapters, helping us fulfill our mission to provide relief to victims of disaster and help people prevent, prepare and respond to emergencies in our communities. As a result, we are always looking for proactive and mission-driven fundraisers with an established track record of increasing philanthropic support.
The Regional Philanthropy Officer identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards current and prospective donors, partners and sponsors in expanding their financial support and blood drive sponsorships on behalf of the work of the American Red Cross. This position is responsible for meeting annual revenue and blood collection targets by working with an assigned portfolio of donors, sponsors and prospects to advance the mission of the organization and acknowledging and stewarding donors and sponsors on the impact of their giving to the American Red Cross. This position is responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual attainment of both revenue and blood collection goals with a portfolio that is balanced evenly between revenue goals and blood collection goals.
This position reports to the Chief Development Officer located in Salt Lake City.
1. Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying donors and blood drive sponsors to ensure retention, growth of donor contributions and blood drive sponsorships, as well as recapture from previous donors and sponsors. Works collaboratively with other departments and development staff to create solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/sponsor/prospect. Partners with regional leadership and donor recruitment staff on blood sponsor recruitment strategy.
2. Fundraising and Blood Sponsorship Targets, Portfolio Management: Manages an assigned portfolio of donors, sponsors and prospects with intent to form deep relationships. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising and blood unit collection goals tied to segmented or blended portfolio as specified in performance standards, including both renewable/recaptured gifts and new incremental revenue. Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio through face to face visits, including preparation of personalized materials.
Responsible for achieving blood collection goals by
1) securing commitment from an executive or other sponsor decision maker to organize multiple blood drives throughout the year, which facilitates that account manager "booking" blood drives on specific dates with the sponsor's blood drive coordinator and
2) work collaboratively with the executive/sponsor decision maker, Red Cross account manager and sponsor blood drive coordinator to ensure sufficient sign-ups are attained to successfully execute the blood drive.
3. Prospect Development: Implements programs/activities to cultivate, solicit and steward targeted prospects/donors, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue and blood unit collections. Works with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors and blood drive sponsors.
4. Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefit of the American Red Cross. Accountable for cultivating relationships for individual fundraising and organizational fundraising.
5. Other: Participates in disaster relief fundraising as appropriate.
6. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum five years sales and/or fundraising experience required. Proven experience in developing strategies for donor retention growth and recapture and proven success with complex requests is required.
Skills & Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser's Edge, Salesforce.com).
Travel: Requires frequent travel within the Region. The amount will vary depending upon size and geography of region.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response
organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
Travel: A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights