Medical Technologist, IRL (Baylor Weekends)
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
Bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services. We are looking for a full time Medical Technologist to work in our COLUMBIA, SC reference lab performing specialized testing & blood bank services to serve our local hospital clients.
As a Medical Technologist at the Red Cross you will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests & interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Primary job responsibilities may include:
• Resolving compatibility problems
• Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
• Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other Medical Technologist duties you may perform include:
• Managing receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
• Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
• Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
• Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
• Performing maintenance, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software
• Maintaining accurate records
• Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
• Assuming lead responsibilities such as record review and training; assisting in concern management.
• Performing staff orientation and competency assessments, if applicable. Performing external customer education.
• Technologist I: BS in Medical Technology or MLT with 5 years of lab experience; ASCP or AMT certification required.
• Technologist II: BS in Medical Technology with 4 years of lab experience or MLT with 4 years of blood bank experience; ASCP or AMT certification required, BB/SBB a plus.
• Experience/Skills: Strong skills in organization, communication and attention to detail are required. Three plus years of clinical experience desired but not required.
• Schedule: Must be available for daytime training during first 6-9 months on the job. After training, schedule is on Baylor Shift Saturday-Sunday-Monday 8am-8pm (may have some flexibility for later start/end times).
Available schedule is Baylor Shift (3 12-hour shifts): Saturday-Monday.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights