Medical Technologist, CLS (IRL)
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
Use your passion for Blood Banking to support our life-saving mission.
Join the Red Cross Biomed Team!
If you're looking to help save lives and contribute to the mission of one of the nation's most respected humanitarian organizations, consider a career in biomedical services at the American Red Cross. As a Red Cross employee, you'll have opportunities to grow your career and be recognized and rewarded for your efforts. Most importantly, you'll work alongside dedicated individuals like yourself who live the values of our organization every day. Join us for a career that will motivate you to be your very best.
The American Red Cross is proud to be one of the Top-Rated Workplaces: Best Non-Profits and Top-Rated Workplaces: Veterans based on rankings and reviews on Indeed.
perform basic and guided advanced donor and patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Resolve compatibility problems; provide intermediate reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services. Perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Perform advanced manufacturing and processing procedures, as applicable. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results by the applicable regulatory requirements.
Shift: 2nd Shift Tues- Sat 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm
- Consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients
- Manage receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples.
- Manage reagent inventory including ordering, receiving, inspecting and preparing reagents.
- Perform and interpret independent basic and complex donor and/or patient testing procedures and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations.
- Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level.
- Perform inventory management, coordination and shipment duties associated with donor product inventory including the maintenance of the exceptional and rare donor products.
- Perform labeling and verification of blood products.
- Receive and process HPC, Apheresis products for cryopreservation.
- Labels HPC, Apheresis products and ensures proper storage location and conditions.
- Performs cell count calculations and completes recordkeeping related to HPC, Apheresis processing.
- Perform, review and approve quality control on products, reagents, and equipment.
- Inspects and prepares HPC, Apheresis products for distribution.
- Consults and communicates with the staff of hospitals and transplant facilities as needed throughout the HPC, Apheresis manufacturing processes as needed.
- MT(ASCP) or BB(ASCP) /equivalent with 4 years experience, bachelor's degree with major in biological science or chemistry plus 6 years blood banking experience, or MLT (ASCP) certification plus 4 years blood banking experience.
- MT (ASCP) and/or BB(ASCP) or equivalent preferred.
- State license may be required where applicable.
- Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of computer and database applications required Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem-solving skills
You must be able to stand for long periods, repeat the same movements, use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This job requires the ability to hear and speak clearly. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The work environment will consist of moderate noise. The employee must be able to react quickly using hands, fingers, or feet. This job may require the employee to be able to bend, stretch, twist, or reach out. This position will require the ability to use the stomach and lower back muscles to support the body for long periods and the ability to keep or regain the body's balance or stay upright when in an unstable position. The employee must be able to frequently use one or two hands to grasp, move or assemble objects. The employee must have the ability to work in a small cubicle and have the ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period.
As part of the world's largest humanitarian network, the American Red Cross places top priority on the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, blood donors, and those who receive our aid and services. Our commitment to public health is unwavering-both during the COVID-19 pandemic and year-round.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights