Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), IRL
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
Use Your Passion for Blood Banking to Support our Life-Saving Mission.
Join the Red Cross Biomed Team!
If you're looking to help save lives and contribute to the mission of one of the nation's most respected humanitarian organizations, consider a career in biomedical services at the American Red Cross. As a Red Cross employee, you'll have opportunities to grow your career and be recognized and rewarded for your efforts. Most importantly, you'll work alongside dedicated individuals like yourself who live the values of our organization every day. Join us for a career that will motivate you to be your very best.
The American Red Cross is proud to be one of the Top-Rated Workplaces: Best Non-Profits and Top-Rated Workplaces: Veterans based on rankings and reviews on Indeed.
Perform basic and guided intermediate donor and/or patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. May resolve compatibility problems; provide basic reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services. May perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results following the applicable regulatory requirements. Provide support, development, and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Shift: 2nd Shift
- May perform telephone consultation including receiving and completing orders for antigen negative products.
- Perform duties associated with receipt, coordination, shipment, and transport of patient and donor blood samples.
- Perform duties associated with supply and reagent management to include ordering, receiving, inspection, preparation, and quality control of supplies and reagents.
- Maintain equipment, reagents, and other stock to assure the quality and accuracy of laboratory test procedures.
- May perform and interpret basic donor and/or patient testing procedures, guided complex serologic problem resolution and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations.
- Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level.
- Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping.
- Maintain accurate, legible, and complete records.
- Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Science or Chemistry.
- Licensure if required by the state.
- 1 year of blood banking experience. Minimum MLT (ASCP) certification.
- Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Basic understanding of basic computer applications including Word.
- Ability to work on a team. Responsibilities may involve variable locations and some travel.
- Available to work alternate shifts and overtime, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends.
Physical Requirements: Requires standing, stretching, stooping, and bending for extended periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc.
As part of the world's largest humanitarian network, the American Red Cross places top priority on the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, blood donors, and those who receive our aid and services. Our commitment to public health is unwavering-both during the COVID-19 pandemic and year-round.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights