Medical Lab Scientist - Blood Bank (ASCP MT, MLS, or CLS)
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
Come bring your passion for blood banking to the American Red Cross!
We are looking for a full-time IRL Technologist (ASCP MLS, MT or CLS) to join our team in Portland, OR. This will be a Monday - Friday 2nd shift position with extensive training on 1st shift.
1. Consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients.
2. Manage receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples, to include ordering, receiving, inspecting and preparing reagents associated with donor product inventory. Maintenance of the exceptional and rare donor products.
3. Perform and interpret independent basic and complex donor and/or patient testing procedures and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level.
4. May assume lead responsibilities to maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records. Also perform maintenance repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
5. May perform internal staff training, competency reviews, and external customer education.
Scope: Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem-solving skills. On call responsibilities.
Education:. Bachelor's degree in Biological Science or Chemistry, MT(ASCP) or BB(ASCP)/ equivalent certification preferred. Licensure if required by state
Experience: Minimum 3 years in blood banking.
Education: MLT (ASCP) certification required or Bachelor's degree in Biological Science or Chemistry. Licensure if required by state
Experience: Minimum 5 years in blood banking.
Management Experience: N/A
Skills/Abilities: Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Must be able to work on a team.
Travel: May involve variable locations and some travel.
* Combination of candidate's education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description's minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights